This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

30 years on, do you think the Gaming crash of 1983 could happen again?

#91protomole64Posted 9/30/2013 11:22:27 PM
DerPancake posted...
As long as there 3 big console manufacturers it won't, and probably Nintendo will stop being one of them soon.

The insane success with the Wii, DS, and 3DS would like to disagree with you. Not to mention that once SSBB gets released, millions will get the Wii U just for it.

Nintendo can last through quite a few console "failures" before it has to give up. I don't have a Wii U, and I'm uninterested in a Wii U, but I'm convinced in 2-3 years it will be doing loads better. If not loads, at least better to some degree once some big name titles get released.

DS: Units sold Worldwide: 153.93 million, all models combined

Wii: Units shipped Worldwide: 100.04 million (as of June 30, 2013)

3DS: Units shipped Worldwide: 32.48 million (as of June 30, 2013)[8]

And the 3DS has only been out for what, 2-3 years? It's got some serious time left to double those figures. Nintendo is fine. -.-
---
Annie's always asking people to see her bare tibbers. ~ jalm94
#92hydrocrushPosted 10/1/2013 12:16:45 AM
yes the crash will hit again and like the first time only nintendo will survive
---
WINNER CHARACTER BATTLE 2013 LINK 2nd snake 3rd samus. sad fact is for all its suck the xbone has better games then the failstation4
OFFICIAL link of GAMEFAQS
#93hydrocrushPosted 10/1/2013 12:24:27 AM
protomole64 posted...
DerPancake posted...
As long as there 3 big console manufacturers it won't, and probably Nintendo will stop being one of them soon.

The insane success with the Wii, DS, and 3DS would like to disagree with you. Not to mention that once SSBB gets released, millions will get the Wii U just for it.

Nintendo can last through quite a few console "failures" before it has to give up. I don't have a Wii U, and I'm uninterested in a Wii U, but I'm convinced in 2-3 years it will be doing loads better. If not loads, at least better to some degree once some big name titles get released.

DS: Units sold Worldwide: 153.93 million, all models combined

Wii: Units shipped Worldwide: 100.04 million (as of June 30, 2013)

3DS: Units shipped Worldwide: 32.48 million (as of June 30, 2013)[8]

And the 3DS has only been out for what, 2-3 years? It's got some serious time left to double those figures. Nintendo is fine. -.-

the 3ds will keep picking up speed look at what monster hunter 4 did in japan alone

the wii U will ramp up the speed as well over the corpse of the ps4 xbone and steams jokebox

there is a very high chance that ssb4 will on the wii u alone do the same if not better then brawl as each ssb has sold millions more then the last

X is causing twilight princess levels of uproars and is guaranteed a easy million at the least but we dont know just how high it can go because it was sold out and then some in america

zelda U is still to come and that will do millions like other big system zeldas even zelda 2 sold like 4m units

and tons more next year alone which by the end of 2014 will have the wii U at 20-25m units or so (that is after 2 holiday seasons)

also the 3ds has time to triple easly if not more then that
---
WINNER CHARACTER BATTLE 2013 LINK 2nd snake 3rd samus. sad fact is for all its suck the xbone has better games then the failstation4
OFFICIAL link of GAMEFAQS
#94dennis941012Posted 10/1/2013 12:26:19 AM
JonWood007 posted...
If it happens again, it'll be due to microtransactions.

---
Painful Slow Death To Incompetent Junglers
#95Yargitsu99zPosted 10/1/2013 1:15:30 AM
Video game have been legitimized by the valiant efforts of people like Hideo Kojima and Fumito Ueda, and moreover, it is seen as a valuable entertainment market NOT a valuable TOY market; both of these factors combined means not only will companies with no business in gaming flood the market, but consumers are more capable of identifying the products they want.

However, I voted "slim chance" cuz, hey, maybe the CoD and WoW drones will turn on their ActivisionBlizzard masters, Madden and FIFA fans will realize exactly how big their chumpage is, SquareEnix just puts too much money into another game, sales are non-existent and somehow FF fans stop liking that garbage, and Capcom and every other company will piss so many people off with DLC required to beat the game, that eventually all that will be left is Indie, Startups, and Japanese developers. Konami, Nintendo, and a handful of others will be the only major developers left. But they will print money off of starving consumers; just like the last crash, a new age of intelligent, artistic game development will rise and the medium will evolve past what is popular at the time. Until a million companies jump in to make their moolah again.

This is called the cyclical nature of Capitalism. And it is one of it's lesser flaws.
---
[Expletive deleted at request of Gamefaqs]
www.twitch.tv/shalashaska824
#96LightningWinsPosted 10/1/2013 1:19:59 AM
An industry crash might just be what we need to get rid of all these casual gamers.
I'm all up for that.
#97Tyranius2Posted 10/1/2013 2:49:02 AM
DerPancake posted...
kjhovey posted...

How is that obvious? Nintendo will always do good with handheld sales. Bringing up Android devices is a terrible argument. Two completely different devices.

Android devices play games just like a 3DS, have cheaper games and infact some phones have better specs than the 3DS which will be obselete in half the time of the DS, and it won't even get 50% of the DS sales.

And the 3DS has a better library which is what matters most. Not to mention you're only taking into account the people who play games on portables casually. There are people who play their 3DS at home. I would never buy an Android device if my sole purpose was to game on the device.

Like the guy above said, bringing up android devices is a terrible argument. Completely different demographics.
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#98MarceloSampaioPosted 10/1/2013 4:32:02 AM
Newave posted...
The videogame industry never crashed here or in Japan etc, only in usa.

Actually, the American Video Game Crash hit most countries in some way. In Japan, for example, the Atari Shock (thats how the console crash is called in Japan) made most Japanese companies stop selling games to the USA, since the inflation and the instability of the gaming industry made selling games in the US something too risky. The crash was the main reason why the MSX and the FM-Towns computers where never released in the US.
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#99ThePCElitistPosted 10/1/2013 6:28:12 AM
Sometime I wish it would happen and indie game devs will fix what is a broken and corrupt industry with terrible practices.
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU