This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any somewhat recent titles that play like Dragon Age origins?

#1TheBlueDeathPosted 9/30/2013 2:28:07 PM
Really like that style of gameplay
---
~~~~RED~~~~ ~~~~GREEN~~~~ ~~~~~BLUE~~~~~
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#2TheBlueDeath(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2013 2:48:37 PM
Also, never played dragon age 2 as I heard horror stories about it.

I'm starting to think it was stretched and becoming slightly interested in it.
---
~~~~RED~~~~ ~~~~GREEN~~~~ ~~~~~BLUE~~~~~
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#3SinisterSlayPosted 9/30/2013 2:49:31 PM
DA2 does play very much like DAO.
The story and repeat levels are a weak point, but the combat is good.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4HighOnPhazonPosted 9/30/2013 3:01:47 PM
DA2s combat is not good.
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB / Corsair TX650
#5dekouPosted 9/30/2013 3:05:19 PM
DA2's basic combat is good and probably a bit better than DAO's, but its encounter design is horrible. It's just waves of same-ish enemies that rush you. It's also pretty boring and bland overall. I wouldn't recommend it.

Unfortunately, we haven't gotten many party-based RPGs like DAO lately. Neverwinter Nights 2 is probably the closest you can get and it's really good, too. There are older games and XCOM, but it's not a RPG. Wasteland 2 should come out soon enough, however, and it looks quite good. Silent Storm is a great turn-based WW2 tactics game with heavy RPG elements, but it's from 2003. It still looks alright IMO.
#6BendoHendoPosted 9/30/2013 3:45:36 PM
Baldur's Gate 2
Icewind Dale 2

--
#7matu90rkPosted 9/30/2013 3:48:02 PM
BendoHendo posted...
Baldur's Gate 2
Icewind Dale 2

--

Excellent games, but I think TC is looking for something more recent. Maybe Risen?
#8NingishzidaPosted 9/30/2013 4:08:34 PM(edited)
TheBlueDeath posted...
Really like that style of gameplay

NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer is closest. Infinitely superior story, music, aesthetics, romances, characterizations, lore, builds and combat.

Also recommend Storm of Zehir, and the user-made modules Harp & Crysanthemum and Subtlety of Thay. NWN1/2 have thousands of mature modules with good combat.

For NWN1 i recommend Darkness over Daggerford and Hex Coda, there are about 50 others at least on par with what paid pros have done

then there's older stuff like:

Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate series
KotoR series
Neverwinter Nights
Icewind Dale series
Drakensang
#9SlaynPosted 9/30/2013 4:35:28 PM
I did not think DA2 combat was good, on any difficulty level.

Honestly I have not found a good DA:O replacement, despite how much everyone hates Bioware, they make good party-centric RPG. Good characters ( despite mediocre overall stories ), good party dynamics, usually multiple choices in story, decent dungeon/lewt mechanics.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.