This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any somewhat recent titles that play like Dragon Age origins?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any somewhat recent titles that play like Dragon Age origins?
2 years ago#1
Really like that style of gameplay
---
~~~~RED~~~~ ~~~~GREEN~~~~ ~~~~~BLUE~~~~~
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
2 years ago#2
Also, never played dragon age 2 as I heard horror stories about it.

I'm starting to think it was stretched and becoming slightly interested in it.
---
~~~~RED~~~~ ~~~~GREEN~~~~ ~~~~~BLUE~~~~~
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
2 years ago#3
DA2 does play very much like DAO.
The story and repeat levels are a weak point, but the combat is good.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
2 years ago#4
DA2s combat is not good.
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB / Corsair TX650
2 years ago#5
DA2's basic combat is good and probably a bit better than DAO's, but its encounter design is horrible. It's just waves of same-ish enemies that rush you. It's also pretty boring and bland overall. I wouldn't recommend it.

Unfortunately, we haven't gotten many party-based RPGs like DAO lately. Neverwinter Nights 2 is probably the closest you can get and it's really good, too. There are older games and XCOM, but it's not a RPG. Wasteland 2 should come out soon enough, however, and it looks quite good. Silent Storm is a great turn-based WW2 tactics game with heavy RPG elements, but it's from 2003. It still looks alright IMO.
2 years ago#6
Baldur's Gate 2
Icewind Dale 2

--
2 years ago#7
BendoHendo posted...
Baldur's Gate 2
Icewind Dale 2

--

Excellent games, but I think TC is looking for something more recent. Maybe Risen?
2 years ago#8
TheBlueDeath posted...
Really like that style of gameplay

NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer is closest. Infinitely superior story, music, aesthetics, romances, characterizations, lore, builds and combat.

Also recommend Storm of Zehir, and the user-made modules Harp & Crysanthemum and Subtlety of Thay. NWN1/2 have thousands of mature modules with good combat.

For NWN1 i recommend Darkness over Daggerford and Hex Coda, there are about 50 others at least on par with what paid pros have done

then there's older stuff like:

Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate series
KotoR series
Neverwinter Nights
Icewind Dale series
Drakensang
2 years ago#9
I did not think DA2 combat was good, on any difficulty level.

Honestly I have not found a good DA:O replacement, despite how much everyone hates Bioware, they make good party-centric RPG. Good characters ( despite mediocre overall stories ), good party dynamics, usually multiple choices in story, decent dungeon/lewt mechanics.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any somewhat recent titles that play like Dragon Age origins?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived