This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

would microsoft phone you from a cell telling you have a virus on your computer

#1greekgamerPosted 9/30/2013 2:49:01 PM(edited)
I got a call from a phone call recently saying that i have some sort of virus on my computer and telling me that he will guide me step by step to get rid of it and that microsoft updates won't update. He had pore reception so i hung up on him. Kind of scary someone would phone my house.
---
[ = [__] = ]
[ + [__] -:- ]
#2ZukkusPosted 9/30/2013 2:49:25 PM
That's a scam. They'll try and get you to give them remote access to your computer.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#3SinisterSlayPosted 9/30/2013 2:51:03 PM
That happened to my co-worker.
He gave him 127.0.01 as his address :D

If they call me, I'm going to try and get them into a webex meeting and control their computer for a bit.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4arleasPosted 9/30/2013 2:51:06 PM
That's a common scam. Microsoft does not have your phone number even if you DID have a virus. They tell you that you have a virus, get you to look at an event log that's full of warnings (that's always full of warnings) and insist that's proof of the virus, then they offer to clean it for you... or something like that.

Kind of scary someone would phone my house.

Yeah, having a phone where you can be contacted is frightening.... seriously though, this is a scam, he doesn't have any info on you, all he did is pull a number out of a hat and hope the little fishy took the bait.
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#5greekgamer(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2013 2:56:13 PM
wonder if there would be a way to reverse hack him so he can feel the pain. lol. worse thing ill prob get is he looking at my pron or something. but if he knows my ip he could get into any other computers on my router.
---
[ = [__] = ]
#6Auron_59261Posted 9/30/2013 2:57:18 PM
The rule of thumb is that no one will contact you about viruses, not even if it's someone claiming to be your anti-virus company. If you're that convinced it's them, hang up and find their official contact information and ask if they attempted to reach you.
---
i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz [] HIS IceQ X^2 7970 |1200|1600|3GB| [] 16GB Ripjaws Z 1866 [] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [] 250GB Samsung 840 [] 2TB Barracuda [] CX 600 PSU [] H80i
#7KillerTrufflePosted 9/30/2013 3:04:44 PM(edited)
Basically, the way the scam works is they cold call random numbers and try to get a sucker to let them connect. If they can get connected, they actually try to *infect* your computer, then charge you up the wazoo to supposedly clean it. While connected, they can also try to mine your computer for bank information, passwords, etc. Bad stuff if you actually let them connect.

Finding ways to waste as much of their time as possible (usually by acting computer illiterate) is the only real way I've seen effectively get back at them. I'm not sure you'd be able to get them to let you connect and control their computer... If there was a way, I would *love* to set their computer to do a full format after reboot, then reboot it. Start causing them major headaches for all the crimes they commit.

EDIT: Also, if they actually said they're calling from MICROSOFT, that's a pretty major step up in the level of their scam. It used to be that the caller said they were calling from WINDOWS. One post I saw about this, the guy was like "You mean you're calling from Microsoft?" and the scammer was like "no, I'm from Windows." _
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#8greekgamer(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2013 3:11:11 PM(edited)
microsoft or windows can't remember. They said something about me having a virus and that they couldn't do windows updates and wanted them to follow step by step how to fix it and wanted me to turn my the computer on.
---
[ = [__] = ]
#9KillerTrufflePosted 9/30/2013 3:21:52 PM
Yep. They basically talk you through pulling up the Windows event viewer, show you all the hordes of errors there (Windows logs *every* tiny little hiccup), try to convince you all those errors are being caused by a virus, then get you to let them connect to your computer to update your virus protection. I feel bad for all the suckers who actually fall for this simply because they aren't that computer literate.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#10firewater_26Posted 9/30/2013 3:25:31 PM
The sad thing is there are a lot of people out there that don't know any better and give them full access to their computer
---
Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.