This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has the Tomb Raider trilogy aged well?

#1KelysticPosted 9/30/2013 7:32:21 PM
This:

http://www.gog.com/game/tomb_raider_123

Can't get enough of Lara.
---
3DS FC: 0189-8885-0137
#2SnipeStarPosted 9/30/2013 7:36:47 PM
not really, but they are classics
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#3-CJF-Posted 9/30/2013 7:45:11 PM
They're still fun games if you are into the genre. The graphics, though... haven't aged very well.
#4Kelystic(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2013 7:49:12 PM
I watched some of the videos on youtube. My main concern is will I have trouble spotting ledges?
---
3DS FC: 0189-8885-0137
#5R i c kPosted 9/30/2013 7:51:34 PM
Kelystic posted...
I watched some of the videos on youtube. My main concern is will I have trouble spotting ledges?

Because they aren't highlighted? Tomb Raider used to be an exploration and puzzle solving game. Put on your adventuring spirit if you want to play the older games.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#6Cush1978Posted 9/30/2013 8:00:31 PM
FWIW, I recently played Tomb Raider: Anniversary and even those controls feel a bit dated. Still enjoyed it though. I haven't played the "original" versions though.
---
Cush - Wii Friend Code: 8824 6045 3862 1803
#7Total-Eclipse_Posted 9/30/2013 8:32:56 PM
Core Design's original series >>>>>> Crystal Dynamics' reboot trilogy >>>>>>>>>>>>> Crystal Dynamics' slightly less ****y version of Uncharted...

To the best of my memory, Core Design with the original series, (TR-TR:C), didn't bathe things in "this is where you're supposed to go/what you're supposed to be paying attention to" post-process effects, nor did they just straight-up "hey dumbass" highlight the puzzles. The digital nature of the controls also allowed for more precise platforming. The Last Revelation is still, to date, the best game in the franchise.

The Crystal Dynamics reboot trilogy made the controls more fluid, but the platforming wound up being less precise as a result. They also greatly dumbed-down the puzzles and hamstrung the exploration aspect by making the levels more linear. Inspite of those rather large flaws, Legend, Anniversary, and especially Underworld still felt like Tomb Raider games at their core, (pun not intended).

The second Crystal Dynamics reboot is just... complete garbage...
#8AnnihilatedPosted 9/30/2013 8:45:22 PM
Tomb Raider I is brilliant. Tomb Raider II could have been a fantastic sequel, but instead they took the lamest part of the first game (shooting humans that take 200 bullets to die) and stretched that out for the entire game. Haven't gotten to Tomb Raider III yet.
#9The cranky hermitPosted 9/30/2013 9:10:50 PM
There's no such thing as a game that hasn't aged well. There are only gamers who aren't able to cope with games that predate genre conventions they're used to, and many claim fault with the game instead of with themselves.

The original Tomb Raider is a brilliant game, but you can't go into it with any expectations of what a Tomb Raider game should be, or even what a 3D action game should be, especially not in terms of the controls. Go in with a willingness to learn an entirely new gameplay language, as did gamers in 1996 who had never played a 3D platformer before had to, and you may enjoy it just as much as they did.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#10NingishzidaPosted 9/30/2013 11:41:44 PM(edited)
don't bother, it wasn't even a good game when it came out.

and these old 3d console games have aged appallingly - low fidelity, choppy framerates, clunky camera controls, polygon clipping, garish textures etc.

not to mention the story, voicesets and general mid-90s cringe-worthiness.

watch also how she adjusts her footwork to get in front of a door or pull a lever, it's enough to drive one insane, so there's the Witcher-like game-play clunkiness to contend with ontop of the PS1 console tech limits