This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has the Tomb Raider trilogy aged well?

#11Erik212Posted 9/30/2013 11:48:08 PM
Total-Eclipse_ posted...
Core Design's original series >>>>>> Crystal Dynamics' reboot trilogy >>>>>>>>>>>>> Crystal Dynamics' slightly less ****y version of Uncharted...

I know a few people hold this opinion, but having played every TR game, my opinion on the newest TR is favorable. I really enjoyed it. Of course it's different, Crystal Dynamics made that obvious long ago that the game would be more cinematic and action oriented vs the old style, but it's one of my favorite TR games now. It also was widely successful which I don't think a legacy TR style game would have pulled off, so I really don't think there's much point in holding hope for that type of game anymore. Especially given Square Enix's nebulous financial issues.

The survivor vision that highlights objectives and collectibles can just be a avoided by...not pressing the button to toggle it on. Bam, now you can explore to find the collectibles. I also found the guns and some skills to make the game too easy so I only upgraded certain things and mainly used the bow. That made the game very enjoyable for me,

On the whole, I had some issues with the plot development and certain mechanics of the game, but I would play it again and I had fun the whole way through. I for one don't mind the genre shift, plus the game looked beautiful, sounded beautiful, and had solid gameplay in my opinion, not to mention actual character development of Lara, which has been a long time coming.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.