This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, I need to get a new laptop. Could use some help in choosing.

#1YoungAdultLinkPosted 9/30/2013 8:31:24 PM
So yeah, I've had this laptop going on 7 years now, and it seems that's about as long as it's meant to last. A couple broken keycaps, just replaced the ram, and now the screen is starting to fail, flickering and the occasional complete failure until I put the thing to sleep and bring it back up. So, time to look into a replacement.

Now, this thing is nothing special, I think my parents paid $300 plus tax for it, and pretty much anything now is an upgrade. I'm looking in the $400-600 bracket, preferably down toward the lower end. I don't expect to play any games on it, I just need basic internet and IRC. Needs to be windows, no chromebooks.

Any standouts in the price range? And how is battery life between, say, an i3 and an A8 or somesuch, since Costco usually has a number of laptops with AMD chips for some nice discounts.

Oh, and nothing in the 11 inch range. I really dislike the extra cramped keyboards. 15.6 or 17.3 would be fine, preferably the former. Basically, anything with a full size keyboard minus numpad, at the least.

Thanks for the help, folks.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#2YoungAdultLink(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 8:15:57 AM
Badabump
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#3cancerstormPosted 10/1/2013 3:57:45 PM
get whatever you want then at costco, best buy, fry's, etc.. from that price range with no gaming capability, there are almost infinite options

intel haswell gets better battery life than the ivy bridge intels. amd processors are kind of weak, but unless your just doing word processing and IRC it doesn't matter
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg