This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Frustrated trying to get GTA4 to work properly

#1GamerliciousPosted 9/30/2013 11:16:39 PM
So I bought GTA4 like a year ago on sale. Never really got the itch to play it until now. With all the V hype, I figure I should play IV first. I finally installed it today.

First problem it wouldn't load at all. I made a Rockstar social account and such, game still wouldn't load. I was getting "gta iv fatal error dfa did not initialize properly" error. To correct this I had Steam validate the files, and it had to download some files that were messed up or something.
Finally got the game to run, log into GFWL, run the benchmark, ran fine. Started up the game, and I played for about 10 minutes. Now keep in mind I usually play with keyboard and mouse, but I'm using my X360 Controller. Anyway, I think the computer went into sleep mode because I didn't touch the keyboard or mouse for 10 minutes. I had to hard reset it. Then my PC went into Startup Repair mode, that ran forever. Finally I was all booted back up. Turned my sleep mode to "Never". And started the game again. This time I played for about an hour, then out of nowhere my PC rebooted.

I have literally spent all day downloading this game, working out errors, rebooting my PC, and it's still not working correctly. This game sold millions of copies and everyone else seemed to not have this many issues. At this rate I don't know if I would even buy GTA5 if they ported it to PC.
---
i7 950 | Asus Sabertooth x58 | GTX 560 SLI | Corsair 6GB 1333 DDR3 | Vertex2 80GB | WD Caviar Black 500GB | Corsair 650W | W7 | Dell 24" | Razer Blackwidow
#2AsucaHayashiPosted 9/30/2013 11:30:18 PM
This game sold millions of copies and everyone else seemed to not have this many issues

pretty sure you're wrong on this.

maybe you should try playing with m/kb if it keeps restarting from "not touching" them..
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#3Gamerlicious(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2013 11:40:33 PM
I turned my PC's sleep mode off now. Also I was thinking maybe it rebooted because of overheating, but my temps weren't really high and I never overheat with any other games. Giving up for tonight, hopefully I can try again tomorrow after work.
---
i7 950 | Asus Sabertooth x58 | GTX 560 SLI | Corsair 6GB 1333 DDR3 | Vertex2 80GB | WD Caviar Black 500GB | Corsair 650W | W7 | Dell 24" | Razer Blackwidow