This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How's this AMD build?

#1staticxtreme5Posted 10/1/2013 2:46:08 AM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1JzEe

Looking to build an inexpensive PC for gaming on a TV. I kind of like the idea of the APU being able to crossfire with a discrete graphics card so I built around that. How do you think it would handle a game like Skyrim or Tomb Raider?

Also, did I make any mistakes or oversights with the build? Not sure everything will fit inside that case, but the website didn't flag me with anything so maybe it will. Do I need any additional case fans or thermal paste for the APU? I do want to OC the processor to the best of my ability. I really only want the PC to last a year or two, so I'm not too worried about how future games will play on it. Eventually I will build a much better one, this is just something to hold me over until that day.

BTW this is around my max budget. I could probably go $600 but I really want to stay under that. I do need an OS which I'm not counting in the budget, but that is a consideration as well.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.12
#2Brass_EyePosted 10/1/2013 3:23:43 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/1/2013 3:30:08 AM
APU+GPU crossfire is a bad idea. Crossfire with two GPUs barely works as is. Much better to get a single GPU setup, and at that price point, you could get a 7850+FX6300.
APUs are for builds under $400.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#4TropicMoon10Posted 10/1/2013 3:41:20 AM
The 6670 isn't really good for modern gaming. Get at least the 7750 or 7770.
---
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#5staticxtreme5(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 3:53:09 AM
So if I went with that APU I shouldn't even get a discrete graphics card? I'll probably only play in 720p. I just need something that plays games with decent settings for a year or two to get by.

I currently have a laptop with these specs:

A8 3500m OCed to 2.0Ghz
16GB RAM
Radeon HD 6620g

Is the PC I'm planning on building going to be significantly better at gaming? I'm pretty happy with its performance overall which is why I thought the same type of setup (hybrid crossfire) would be pretty decent for my needs. If I can get a much better PC for the same money however, I would rather do that.
---
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/1/2013 5:00:13 AM(edited)
Do you really need a blu-ray drive?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1JAiC

This would perform much, much better.
---
Want that Shield!
#7staticxtreme5(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 4:07:54 AM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Do you really need a blu-ray drive?

Not mandatory I guess, but I was hoping the PC could replace my blu-ray player in my living room as well, for simplicity's sake.

Edit: I think your link is wrong. It's linking me to the exact build I posted in my first post, unless my iPhone is just not wanting to work right.
---
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/1/2013 4:06:32 AM
In that case, you may as well. You can probably sell the blu-ray player for cheaper than that drive costs anyway.
---
Want that Shield!
#9staticxtreme5(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 4:30:18 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
In that case, you may as well. You can probably sell the blu-ray player for cheaper than that drive costs anyway.

Yeah I figured I could always sell my blu-ray player and recoup the money for that.

Also, your link didn't work. I think its wrong, but I am very interested to see the build you had put together.
---
#10DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/1/2013 5:00:45 AM
I always seem to do that with pcpartpicker
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1JAiC
---
Want that Shield!