This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Consoles catching up with pc?

#11ThePCElitistPosted 10/1/2013 10:18:58 AM(edited)
reincarnator07 posted...
As someone else said, they are drifting further apart. Back in the days of the PS2 and earlier, the consoles were actually more powerful than consumer PCs. The 7th gen consoles were more or less on par with high end PCs of the time (minus the Wii ofc). Next gen consoles look to be equal to mid range PCs today, with the processor falling far short of that. With the rate at which technology is progressing (especially in the mobile market) they'll be miles behind in just a few years.

The reason for this is because of how much money the console manufacturers lost in their early years of the current generation. They can't keep taking massive hits. So we have weak consoles with cheap hardware.
---
#12CC RicersPosted 10/1/2013 10:28:49 AM
In the early PS2 days, you could play PC games at 1024x768 resolution and higher. Early PS2 and Xbox games were limited to 480i.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#13Fade2black001Posted 10/1/2013 10:45:03 AM
CC Ricers posted...
In the early PS2 days, you could play PC games at 1024x768 resolution and higher. Early PS2 and Xbox games were limited to 480i.

Some Xbox games could do 720P. Well that's what said on back of the case anyways.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#14PhilOnDezPosted 10/1/2013 10:56:45 AM
Gran Turismo on the PS2 actually ran at 1080i, the vast majority was limited to 480p at best though with most running at 480i.

As for catching up, I think the fact that games still aren't running at 1080p in order to maintain 30fps says a lot. It took years and years for integrated graphics to surpass the consoles, unless something happens to halt their development it won't be nearly as long for that to happen again.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#15DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/1/2013 11:08:45 AM(edited)
PhilOnDez posted...
Gran Turismo on the PS2 actually ran at 1080i,

Source? Sounds like bollocks.

Edit: Just looked it up.

"Gran Turismo 4 is one of only four titles for the PlayStation 2 that is capable of 1080i output, another being Tourist Trophy which was also created by Polyphony."

Interesting to note. Hardly believable really and I'm sure that isn't native rendering and must involve upscaling.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#16rpgianPosted 10/1/2013 11:21:35 AM
One can be upgraded the other can't. So one is always ahead. If your saying you see no need to upgrade than thats good for your needs then but the fact is one is always ahead. So nothing is catching up but your wants are slowing down.

I fall in with you. If it works well enough I don't see a need to drop $ to make it work slightly better. However the smooth all purpose use of pc wins me over a console any day. It takes seconds to switch tasks,cheat,etc here. Its a slow go on console.

If I want a controller experience I use one of 6 usb ports for it and I can buy a controller for as low as $5 to look like anything from nes to ps2. On console its a controlled platform so any controller,hard drive,etc you buy is going to be at their price. Like $40+ for a controller or maybe even a little more evil like the pricey Psp memory sticks.
#17LoshadtPosted 10/1/2013 11:41:06 AM
The gap isn't getting smaller, it's getting larger. These consoles are releasing outdated, and they aren't going to get any stronger due to having fixed hardware. Optimization also won't push the boundaries much more, the consoles are releasing on x86 architecture, which most developers are familiar with.

Basically, no the gap is not getting smaller.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#18Born LuckyPosted 10/1/2013 12:24:43 PM(edited)
The gap is not getting larger.

The PS4 is going to look really good in a year or two, and pretending that it won't doesn't do any good.

This is the kind of denial that give PC gamers a bad rep.

I'm pretty sick of trying to see the difference in screenshots.

"Look over there, in the left corner, there's some jaggies on that telephone pole - PS4 is inferior, PC WINS!" or "The water looks a little better on the boat level . . . PC wins".

It's getting stupid.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#19DerPancakePosted 10/1/2013 12:24:02 PM
http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/other/grand/0ab91ceb8d69fc613ae732ac5c83a642.gif
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#20LoshadtPosted 10/1/2013 12:27:04 PM
Born Lucky posted...
The gap is not getting larger.

This is the kind of denial that give PC gamers a bad rep.

I'm pretty sick of trying to see the difference in screenshots.

"Look over there, in the left corner, there's some jaggies on that telephone pole - PS4 is inferior, PC WINS!" or "The water looks a little better on the boat level . . . PC wins".

It's getting stupid.

What do you mean the gap isn't getting larger? Do you understand the basic laws of reality? A closed system by definition cannot improve. So when hardware inevitably gets outdated the console will be obsolete with no way to rectify that situation.

This is just the facts, and it's not elitist to believe this. People like you need to stop taking a statement directed toward a platform and applying it to yourself instead.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.