This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thoughts on the BF4 beta?

#3130aught6Posted 10/1/2013 5:29:40 PM
Darkking4 posted...
I understand that betas are not fully representative of the final product but this is just ugh...
terribly optimized. I can't see how the new destruction features/particles/engine would cut the frame-rate in half from battlefield 3. Its just shoddy developer optimization.

Chill, man. It's called beta for a reason.

People were having the exact same inconsistency issues during the BF3 beta, this is to be expected
#32DZ0D2Posted 10/1/2013 5:37:47 PM
I love this game already. I'm having no trouble getting 60fps or higher, and I cannot put it down.
---
i5-3570k, Asus P8Z77-V LE, Corsair Vengeance 8 GB, Diamond HD 7970, 430W PSU, Cooler Master Storm Scout 2
#33JonWood007Posted 10/1/2013 5:40:42 PM
Orestes417 posted...
For some of us, the performance isn't cut in half. Not even close. At worst running on high (Ultra's excessive for little benefit atm) I'm looking at performance comparable to BF3 on a busy Gulf of Oman server on ultra. Yeah it sucks that it's not working cleanly on all systems yet, but I'd expect the final hit to be lower than you're seeing now.

What CPu you running? I have a phenom II. In BF3, I generally average around 60ish on ultra, dipping occasionally to 30-40.

In BF4, I average around 35, dipping down to 20. BF4 runs like planetside 2, if not worse (PS2 generally doesn't stutter as much). And for what? The game still has 64 players, the game doesn't look that much better.

Graphically, the game isn't THAT demanding. I run it on high the same as I run it on low. THis indicates to me my GPU is not the problem, my CPU is.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#34YoungAdultLinkPosted 10/1/2013 5:41:25 PM
I am enjoying the beta, but I think I'mma cancel my preorder through GMG. I've got other games that can tide me over until I can get it for cheaper and I could use the $48 I put down to go toward replacing my laptop.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#35Orestes417Posted 10/1/2013 6:07:15 PM(edited)
Running a 660 ti and a Phenom II 965 atm. Going to be upgrading significantly by the end of the year. PS2 OTOH... that game sucks hard on amd chips. and note, I *did* say Oman for a reason. The gap is higher compared to say... metro. It's also probably worth noting that I usually run low AA as a matter of preference, so that could have something to do with it.

---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#36WyzeGyePosted 10/1/2013 6:07:42 PM(edited)
I think it's a heckuva lot better than the bf3 beta I played on ps3. But, so far i'm saying that bf4 won't be a day 1 buy like bf3 was. I'll probably wait for the Premium package to come out and pick it up then. BF3 is plenty good for now.

I'm running a Phenom II 965be and a 7970. To put the performance difference in perspective (granted that bf4 is beta and will no doubt be smoother)

I can have everything maxed in BF3, and average about 58 fps(no vsync). And to get the same level of smoothness out of BF4, i have to use the 'medium' graphics preset.

Definitely need a better CPU before I buy this game.
---
http://i.imgur.com/2dhh8tn.gif | http://i.imgur.com/p5EXSiq.jpg
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/2/2/7/201227_v1.gif
#37Damaged7Posted 10/1/2013 6:03:17 PM
Darkking4 posted...
I understand that betas are not fully representative of the final product but this is just ugh...
terribly optimized. I can't see how the new destruction features/particles/engine would cut the frame-rate in half from battlefield 3. Its just shoddy developer optimization.

I don't think you understand what a Beta is. Of course it isn't gonna be optimized great or run smoothly.
---
Bold Text
#38Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/1/2013 6:52:15 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Mark my words. The price model will follow almost exactly what it did with BF3. There's no reason whatsoever to discount expacs that haven't been released yet. The whole purpose for the Premium Edition is to entice people who skipped the expacs when they were shiny and new into biting on the whole, then devalued, package later on in the game's life.

And in case you forgot, there were codes for BF3 packed into nvidia cards at release too. had zero effect.

Nvidia doesn't keep giving out codes like AMD, normally about 1-2 months and it's over.

Anyway, keep reassuring yourself that the price will not be dirt cheap.
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8!
#39therickmu25Posted 10/1/2013 7:23:52 PM
It feels a lot like BF3 which is expected and all around I would say it's solid. However, after playing Arma3 the last few months with a solid group of guys and using teamwork, it's hard to jump into this game where everyone is running around like a chicken with their head cut off and have fun in an objective based mode.

It's more or less a substitute for COD and I can't imagine getting the same level of teamwork as I do on Arma so I don't think I'm going to buy it. We'll see down the road if I find a good core of guys to play with if I'll end up getting it.
---
Games List: http://i.imgur.com/n5R72Cl.jpg
PC Setup: http://i.imgur.com/fUPqE7N.jpg
#40JonWood007Posted 10/1/2013 8:52:16 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
Running a 660 ti and a Phenom II 965 atm. Going to be upgrading significantly by the end of the year. PS2 OTOH... that game sucks hard on amd chips. and note, I *did* say Oman for a reason. The gap is higher compared to say... metro. It's also probably worth noting that I usually run low AA as a matter of preference, so that could have something to do with it.

As someone with a roughly comparable rig, I know what you mean by "Oman" as opposed to metro. I'd love that level of performance in BF4. Heck, I'd settle for 64 player CQ map frame rates.

BF4 is running at Planetside 2 levels for me FPS wise (30-50 with dips in the 10s and 20s)....except PS2 doesn't have the nasty stuttering that BF4 has.There's also heavy action in PS2 when I drop under 30...in this game it's random except for the tower collapsing.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768