This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thoughts on the BF4 beta?

#61OreoBoy206Posted 10/2/2013 6:37:48 AM
Slayn posted...
Have any of you ever done a beta before? 100% serious question. Maybe you all remember beta with rose tinted glasses. There are two general facts of most betas:

1. The beta, ESPECIALLY any type of external/open/massive beta, is usually a few builds behind.

2. Usually they have things like debuggers running at the same time.

You people make it seem like the game is going to permanently run at sub 60 FPS unless running dual titans.

^^^Pretty much this...

Primarily, “the beta is first and foremost an opportunity for us to test the underlying infrastructure – server loads, matchmaking systems, server browsers, and game mode rotations are now going to be tested at high capacity for the first time in a public environment

Also, don’t expect the gameplay to be reminiscent of the final build. Troedsson wants you to know that “the beta version of the game is actually older than the version we are currently working on at the DICE office, since the beta had to be submitted for testing and certification before it can go live."

http://mp1st.com/2013/09/26/battlefield-4-beta-everything-need-know/
Source^^^
#62godplaysSNESPosted 10/2/2013 6:43:31 AM
I've gotten the impression that folks using Windows 8 have a better time than Windows 7.

Sure it's an earlier build, but DX11.1 could be making a notable difference in CPU limited scenarios.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#63Orestes417Posted 10/2/2013 6:46:07 AM
That could very well be the case.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#64PathlessBulletPosted 10/2/2013 6:50:20 AM
ThePCElitist posted...
I'm getting 60-74 fps on ultra with my SLI 680's but I'm still getting horrible performance. Just poorly optimized right now?

Constant v synced 60FPS w/ single 7970 so it must really favor AMD.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#65SlaynPosted 10/2/2013 8:07:03 AM
Currently I am running on high with 2600k and dual 660's, 1440p, 60 fps solid.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#66JonWood007Posted 10/2/2013 8:35:45 AM
You wasted all that time to come to the conclusion that a next-gen game gets similar FPS to an un-optimized current gen game? Not to mention this next-gen game is a beta and currently is only playable on a CPU heavy (particle, smoke, physics) map?

Planetside 2 is a next gen game.It's coming out on PS4.

Also, my settings are a variation of low, medium, and high in PS2.

BF4 = more CPU intensive effects (physics, particles, smoke, etc) = less fps

BF4 should give players the options to turn that crap down. I don't really give a crap about the extra effects, and it's not worth making my PC chug like this. The proper way to make a game involves giving people eye candy if they want it, but also allowing them to turn things down if they don't.

Why people are comparing the jump from BF2 to BF3 to the jump from BF3 to BF4 is baffling. You're skipping three games worth of evolution. A better point of comparison would be Vietnam to BF2 or 2142 to Bad Company if you insist on jarring upgrades to the engine.

Honestly, I think that 2-> 2142 is an apt comparison here. Way more demanding than the previous game, while more or less using the same engine, and not having much to justify the epic chugging. I know on my old desktop, BF2 ran fine (30-60 FPS), but 2142 ran even worse than BF4 does on my desktop (10-20 FPS).

Have any of you ever done a beta before? 100% serious question. Maybe you all remember beta with rose tinted glasses. There are two general facts of most betas:

In my experience, the FPS in the beta isn't far from the final product. Especially when we're talking a beta 1 month from the official release.

Also, don’t expect the gameplay to be reminiscent of the final build. Troedsson wants you to know that “the beta version of the game is actually older than the version we are currently working on at the DICE office, since the beta had to be submitted for testing and certification before it can go live."

I thought this statement applied to consoles, which have a certification process, and that PC players had the updated version?
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#67JonWood007Posted 10/2/2013 8:50:56 AM(edited)
FYI, I'm not even complaining about BF4 being more demanding than BF3 in itself...I knew this would happen going into it. I mean, if I get 50 FPS on ultra, I figured it would be likely I only pull 30ish in BF4. I figured meh, I'd lower the settings to medium or something and get my normal 50ish FPS. Instead it runs worse on low than BF3 does at max. And that's why I'm making such a big stink, because for a game that looks like BF3.1 honestly, it does little to justify the ridiculous performance costs.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#68SchaerMannPosted 10/2/2013 9:43:51 AM
Honestly, what little of it I managed was okay. Problem is that I spent more time fighting lag than actually playing (which seems kind of odd given how close the server was to me and my ping of 22), and I never managed to finish a round, because every time I'd lose connection. Either kicked for no discernible reason or server time-out (and one of those time-outs the server vanished inexplicably 30 seconds later). But beyond that, I definitely found what I played to be somewhat enjoyable.
---
There exist in the world ideas that are the intellectual equivalent of a Twinkie: appealing, tasty, last forever, and utterly devoid of benefit. - Anonymous
#69OreoBoy206Posted 10/2/2013 10:17:37 AM(edited)
This Beta is mostly for the server side of things.. Most of the stuff people are complaining about is likely fixed in the current DICE build..

People complained about the same kind of stuff in the BF3 Beta to the point that DICE had to come out and basically say "We know about the issues/bugs in BF3 Beta and they're already fixed in our current build" and yes he was talking about the PC BF3 Beta as well.. So I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case with BF4 Beta too...

http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/10/battlefield-3-beta-glitches-already-fixed-in-full-game/
Link^^^
#70temgunPosted 10/2/2013 10:16:24 AM
I'm kinda disappointed tbh. It does feel like BF3.5 and the map is kinda boring. I don't really feel like paying full price for just 10 maps and then more for Premium.

The performance as of now is terrible, but it's still beta. It doesn't look that much better, so I have no idea why it runs so badly. Yes, I have the beta drivers.