This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So sick of FPS elitists

#11TimePharaohPosted 10/1/2013 7:30:33 PM
Fenriswolf posted...
This year saw some remakes of old-school FPS properties like Shadow Warrior and Rise of the Triad. While I enjoyed these games, I'm really annoyed by the elitist community attached to these games, acting as if they're better than everyone else just because they knew how to rocket jump back in the old days or whatever. Furthermore, these people try to dismiss legitimate criticisms against these games, like bugs, lack of optimization, low budget etc, while telling anyone who criticizes these games to "go back to COD". There's nothing wrong with having gaming and narrative features evolve with technology, and since when is it wrong to enjoy COD and prefer to have proper storytelling in games again?

I know, right? The COD series set the bar for proper storytelling, more games need it.

"Guy fighting terrists with his squad who dies before he gets betrayed by his partner. Now he's on a mission....FOR REVENGE!!! To save the world from his evil partner right before he causes BOOM SPLOSIONS (after many boom splosions)"
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#12steveboblarryPosted 10/1/2013 7:31:24 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Fenriswolf posted...
This year saw some remakes of old-school FPS properties like Shadow Warrior and Rise of the Triad. While I enjoyed these games, I'm really annoyed by the elitist community attached to these games, acting as if they're better than everyone else just because they knew how to rocket jump back in the old days or whatever. Furthermore, these people try to dismiss legitimate criticisms against these games, like bugs, lack of optimization, low budget etc, while telling anyone who criticizes these games to "go back to COD". There's nothing wrong with having gaming and narrative features evolve with technology, and since when is it wrong to enjoy COD and prefer to have proper storytelling in games again?

I know, right? The COD series set the bar for proper storytelling, more games need it.

"Guy fighting terrists with his squad who dies before he gets betrayed by his partner. Now he's on a mission....FOR REVENGE!!! To save the world from his evil partner right before he causes BOOM SPLOSIONS (after many boom splosions)"

MICHEAL BAY!!!!!! PEW PEW PEW
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#13JKatarnPosted 10/1/2013 7:32:35 PM
I'm sick of the FPS genre period, it reached its saturation point long ago and we need to inject some fresh blood into some other genres.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#14Ch3wyPosted 10/1/2013 7:35:32 PM
JKatarn posted...
I'm sick of the FPS genre period, it reached its saturation point long ago and we need to inject some fresh blood into some other genres.

That's one of the reasons I like the Euro Truck Simulator genre so much. It's thriving with amazing new ideas right now
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#15r0ge00Posted 10/1/2013 7:37:21 PM
Ningishzida posted...
forget your Baby's first social network FPSes and get on my level

Sorry, I can't get that low.
#16Last Grand MageX2Posted 10/1/2013 7:47:49 PM
Judgmenl posted...
Last Grand MageX2 posted...
DerPancake posted...
Hilariously CoD takes as much skill as arena shooters.

Objectively untrue, CoD has various mechanics which exist for the sole purpose of compressing the skill gap. I'm not saying that you're wrong for liking it, or that CoD is a bad game, but the fact is that CoD is just plain easier to be good at.

I think you're the kind of person that TC doesn't like.

You can think that all you'd like, the truth is I'm not even a huge fan of the FPS genre in general anymore, though I do play a round of CS:GO from time to time.

I actually really used to like the Call of Duty franchise, the original CoD and CoD:UO are probably 2 of my most played games of all time CoD4:MW is the only game I've ever preordered. I'm not a fan of the newer games, but it's not because of the core gameplay mechanics, which I still love. My problems with the new CoD games are that the maps are too small, and that spawns are random. In the original CoD, maps were really big, and spawns were semi-static(they would change if your position was overrun/you overran the enemy position), which made for big battles, flanking maneuvers, and all sorts of other goodies.

It also may have been my imagination, but it seemed like the modding community for CoD4 was way smaller than what it had been in the original. I have no doubt that community is even smaller for the newer games, which have come out basically annually, which is just terrible for a modding community. So no, I'm not a fan of the new CoD games, but considering how much I used to love the franchise, I won't stoop to making fun of people for liking it.

Now if CoD and Madden are the only games you have, then I'll feel quite justified in ignoring anything you say regarding games.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#17steveboblarryPosted 10/1/2013 7:48:22 PM
r0ge00 posted...
Ningishzida posted...
forget your Baby's first social network FPSes and get on my level

Sorry, I can't get that low.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/kelso-burn.jpg
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#18strongo9Posted 10/1/2013 7:50:37 PM
I'm pretty sure all nostalgic gamers act like that. It doesn't matter what genre a game is.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#19DisastersaurusPosted 10/1/2013 8:17:40 PM(edited)
Since when was low budget a legitimate criticism?

That's the douchiest thing I have ever head. Gunpoint's production costs totaled thirty dollars and it was easily the best game this year so far.
---
hella butts
#20And_Im_JavertPosted 10/1/2013 8:43:47 PM
Oh s*** Fenris on the PC board.
---
http://i.imgur.com/TBLXOk9.gif
http://i.imgur.com/KoWZGDV.png