This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Got a new laptop, need to make Windows 8 more like 7.

#1Dodgeball BoyPosted 10/1/2013 6:49:43 PM
I can see the appeal, sure, but Windows 8 is just not doing it for me. Freaking apps.

So, what can I do about it? I know there are a few options, StartIsBack and some sorta shell being two, but I don't know which is the best. All I want is to have the normal Start button functions, along with programs not shoving around the desktop. Example: I can't open PDFs in a simple window, it has to be a separate app that only seems to come in full-screen and too-small-to-read sizes. Ugh.
---
Dodgeball Boy? He's Batman. The Trolls are the Joker. For giggles, I'm Michael Caine. - Crobar
http://i.imgur.com/4mhfj5v.jpg Thanks Cosmonaut!
#2fataliPosted 10/1/2013 7:00:45 PM
I have heard startisback works the best, since it runs as a service and not a separated program. Or something like that.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#32Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 10/1/2013 7:02:23 PM
I use classic shell and I've had no problems.
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#4Mudkip57Posted 10/1/2013 7:11:34 PM
Stop use the Win 8 app store. Just download whatever you programs you want normally. Win 8 is just more efficient Win 7
#5ThunderPotatoPosted 10/1/2013 7:16:45 PM
I don't make win8 like 7 or use the apps. I guess I'm just smart enough to adapt. Try class shell if change scares you.
---
PC is a Console Hardware game, published by Microsoft, which was released in 1995.
#6DragnfyrPosted 10/1/2013 7:22:04 PM
Just download a regular PDF reader and associate .pdf files with that.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.8.5 | Windows 8 Pro
#7GTRagnarokPosted 10/1/2013 7:29:42 PM
If you want Windows 8 to be more like Windows 7, then just use it like Windows 7. Download programs off the internet like always. Windows 8 doesn't force you to use any of the fullscreen apps, so just remove them from the start menu if you don't need them. Configure the start menu to your liking and it'll end up nicer than the traditional start menu bar.
---
M17x R4 | i7-3720QM | 2GB 7970M | 16GB DDR3 1600 | 128GB Samsung PM830 mSATA SSD |
#8MyExtraAccountPosted 10/1/2013 7:38:43 PM
GTRagnarok posted...
If you want Windows 8 to be more like Windows 7, then just use it like Windows 7. Download programs off the internet like always. Windows 8 doesn't force you to use any of the fullscreen apps, so just remove them from the start menu if you don't need them. Configure the start menu to your liking and it'll end up nicer than the traditional start menu bar.

This X10!

The apps aren't essential at all. I've used a few and they can be neat, but not essential.

For example, I can split the screen and have Pandora playing on the right while browsing on the left, in a more fluid way than Win 7. I do the same with Skype, it's really neat.
---
The official Tsun of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim!
#9RavlinPosted 10/1/2013 9:16:27 PM(edited)
On the start screen type default programs. There's no search box to type in initially. Just start typing and one will appear. Click Default Programs when it appears and then click the set your default programs link.

Change out the apps for desktop programs. I set Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer, and Adobe Reader as default. I prefer to use the Zune software for music since I have a Zune HD and I like the Zune program better than the XBOX Music app.

You might also want to turn off the app switching gesture. It's triggered by swiping in from the left side of the trackpad/touchpad.

Windows key + I , Change PC settings, General, Turn off "When I swipe from the left edge, switch directly to my most recent app."

If you install Classic Shell you can make the OS boot to the desktop after you sign in and disable hot corners so that the charms bar doesn't pop out when you put your pointer at the top right corner of your screen.