This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best place to get more of my RAM? *trouble finding PC2-5300*

#1Metroid_LoverPosted 10/1/2013 6:26:02 PM
CPUz Says I have this type of RAM now, 'DDR2 PC2-5300 (333 MHz) x 4' [4GB RAM total]

I'm trying to upgrade 2 of them to be 2GB sticks..total of 6 GB of RAM

Reason doing this:
I want to temporary help my computer have more ram, so when I can save enough and then give my/this PC I build-by-self-with-help-from-this-board PC to my mom to replace her pre-build peace of crap.
And since she also has W7 (32-bit) it will help her with her e-book making/editing she dose for different publishers.
*I'm also recycling by doing this*

My PC information:
W7 (64-bit)
http://valid.canardpc.com/2833766

I checked Crucial and it says my motherboard can use 3 different types:
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=D31E870831D926C3

DDR2 PC2-5300
DDR2 PC2-6400
DDR2 PC2-8500

I went to Staples (the only PC store in this small town), and I was told by a Staples tech that all my RAM should have the same of speed (5300, 6400, or 8500) and best not to mix/match (2 x 6400 and 2 x 5300)...if this is true, that limits me to getting only 5300, right?

That's where I'm having trouble, it's hard to find 2 x 2GB 5300 without it being 'server ram'
An example: http://tinyurl.com/qbhml7g

I don't know that buffered/un-buffered is....but I probably just need to make sure I have the same as what i have now...I think there un-bufered.
But it talks about it's for a server, so won't work in my desktop, right?

I then saw these, would one of these work for me?:
http://tinyurl.com/qzrq5g2
http://tinyurl.com/qek3xg9

Can I put what I have and one of those together in my PC and all will be ok, or not?
*I'm trying not to spend more then $50 or so on this, and any advise would be welcomed*

Thanks in advance, I'll check-back often!
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only...
#2HellsAdvisorPosted 10/1/2013 6:47:31 PM(edited)
Never ever "mix and match" with memory. The varying clocks and configurations are incredibly likely to give you a variety of system errors and/or decrease performance in a number of other ways. Hell even 2 sticks with the "same" clock speeds from two different manufacturers isn't a good idea. You want your memory to be as similar as possible. Same brand, same model number, same everything.

You could buy three of the second link since it's not sold out but of course you never know what condition the memory is in.

Also if your mom's OS is Win7 32-bit, you'll have to upgrade to 64 bit for it to register the additional 2GB of memory.\

Edit: Woah misread the post, it's for your computer.

Checking Newegg, it seems upgrading to 6 GB is out of your budget entirely unless using eBay or something.

I do agree with r0ge though, it's likely not even worth it, and at those speeds especially I doubt you'll see a real improvement in speed.

Also, if it does you any good, http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2629#ov that is your motherboard with all the relevant specs including 1066/800/667 Memory like you listed.
#3r0ge00Posted 10/1/2013 6:42:57 PM
I don't think it's worth it to jump from 4GB to 6GB, 4GB is more than enough for most tasks. Judging by the age of your RAM, the rest of your computer is probably pretty old as well. I don't think you'll see much of a performance increase. Just my $.02.
#4Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 7:00:56 PM(edited)
So Windows 7- 32 bit can only see up to 4GB?

I thought that was with XP...or was XP can only see up to 3.5GB?
*I forgot.*

Luckily someone bought the first link, good thing too, only just realist it was listed under server ram...need to start reading more.

HellsAdvisor:
Thanks for that link, my MB is v1.0...not sure the differents from v1 and v2, but useful link, thanks!

2nd is 1stick at 4GB...would having that in the first RAM slot (closest to CPU?) and keeping what's in the other 3 work, or would it not be advised?

Or should I just save up more money since I'm going to replace my entire PC, getting a little old...about 5 years old now?, I think now be the best option?
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only...
#5r0ge00Posted 10/1/2013 6:58:47 PM
Just save the money and put it towards an entirely new PC.
#6BowsaaPosted 10/1/2013 6:59:47 PM
Metroid_Lover posted...

*I forgot.*

Any 32 bit OS can address at most 3.2 or 3.5 or whatever it is GB of RAM.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#7Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 7:06:15 PM
r0ge00 posted...
Just save the money and put it towards an entirely new PC.

I'll just do that then..I think $800 - $1,000 should be enough, right?
*several months still to save up/go if I'm right, o well*

Bowsaa posted...
Metroid_Lover posted...

*I forgot.*

Any 32 bit OS can address at most 3.2 or 3.5 or whatever it is GB of RAM.

Kind of seems odd, with W7 and W8, they should have bypassed that limitation by now, but I don't know anything about coding or anything, so they must have a reason for that I guess.

Thanks for all the help, helped me save some money and got some info ;)
---
#8HellsAdvisorPosted 10/1/2013 7:24:05 PM(edited)
Metroid_Lover posted...

HellsAdvisor:
Thanks for that link, my MB is v1.0...not sure the differents from v1 and v2, but useful link, thanks!

2nd is 1stick at 4GB...would having that in the first RAM slot (closest to CPU?) and keeping what's in the other 3 work, or would it not be advised?

Or should I just save up more money since I'm going to replace my entire PC, getting a little old...about 5 years old now?, I think now be the best option?

Nothing is keeping it from fundamentally not working but it's heavily advised against. You could get several issues from BSoDs to all sorts of Windows and application errors. You have one pool of memory but all the sticks are running at different speeds. It's like if all four tires in your car rotated at different speeds, theoretically the car would still run but don't expect it to run *well*.

Like r0ge said, best bet is putting that money towards a new PC.

And in response to your question about Win 7/8 bypassing 32-Bit limitations. That's impossible, Hahaha. 32 and 64 bit are how the operating system fundamentally addresses the processor, and along with it, how the processor addresses memory usage. That's what all the bits refer to. Without getting into the details of it, 32-Bit by the nature of it will restrict memory usage 3.25 GB at the most. There's no bypassing it, it's a numerical consequence of a 32-Bit OS, it could never handle more. Like trying to stick a 10x10 metal cube into a 5x5 metal box you can't bypass the dimensions of the box, you just need a bigger box. That's sort of what a 64-Bit OS is, it can handle more "Bits".
#9Lonestar2000Posted 10/2/2013 2:25:47 AM
HellsAdvisor posted...
Never ever "mix and match" with memory. The varying clocks and configurations are incredibly likely to give you a variety of system errors and/or decrease performance in a number of other ways. Hell even 2 sticks with the "same" clock speeds from two different manufacturers isn't a good idea. You want your memory to be as similar as possible. Same brand, same model number, same everything.

You could buy three of the second link since it's not sold out but of course you never know what condition the memory is in.

Also if your mom's OS is Win7 32-bit, you'll have to upgrade to 64 bit for it to register the additional 2GB of memory.\

Edit: Woah misread the post, it's for your computer.

Checking Newegg, it seems upgrading to 6 GB is out of your budget entirely unless using eBay or something.

I do agree with r0ge though, it's likely not even worth it, and at those speeds especially I doubt you'll see a real improvement in speed.

Also, if it does you any good, http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2629#ov that is your motherboard with all the relevant specs including 1066/800/667 Memory like you listed.

This isn't true. Mix and matching memory is fine. It will just clock itself down to your current memory.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#10HellsAdvisorPosted 10/2/2013 7:13:02 AM
Lonestar2000 posted...

This isn't true. Mix and matching memory is fine. It will just clock itself down to your current memory.

Only if your motherboard supports that feature, and even if it does there's no guarantee everything will run smoothly even if you tweak all the speeds, timings, latency and voltage to be the same.

Of course the computer will likely still run on it, however mixing memory is just not a good idea, there's way more complicated systems at work beyond just the speeds and timings. Mixed sets are not likely to play nice together and a tiny percent performance increase isn't worth the effort.