This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Got questions about getting a repeater. Everyone w/ knowledge of this plz read

#1TheChosen0ne-Posted 10/2/2013 3:39:22 AM
I live in a two story house. The wireless router is on the second floor and my room is on the first floor. I get consistent speed most of the time except when other family members are using the internet and it pisses me off when it makes my steam download slower than it already is as well as ruining my online gaming experience. What I want to do is get the full or close to full speed I'm supposed to get that I do get when I use a computer on my second floor of the house because it's so much faster using internet on the second floor and also to not lag like a b**** as well as have my steam downloads at its regular speed instead of very inconsistent speeds. A while ago people here recommended me to get a repeater since it supposed to boost my internet speed but I got some questions:

-What is the best wireless repeater to get? Recommend me one on amazon if you can since I got amazon prime

-Is there a difference between usb and the ones you plug in the outlet?

-Since there's about three walls between my room to the room with the wireless router as well as about 100ft from the router to my room, would it be okay to put the repeater through my computer's usb or a power outlet inside my room? Would I still get the benefit of the repeater? Or would I need to put it in the living room or something?

-Would it slow down the internet a lot for my family members when I use the internet with the repeater?

Thanks.
#2LordSeiferPosted 10/2/2013 4:55:03 AM
a wireless repeater will not speed up your internet (unless its running bad in your location)

a wireless repeater DEFINITELY will not stop your internet from being slow because oher people in your house are using the bandwidth

and no, it would not slow down your family, anymore than you using the internet already slows them down. if 3 people are all actively trying to download something, its going to be at best a third of the speed for you.

and yes the wireless repeater needs to be in a location where it is getting near full signal otherwise its got nothing to work with.

I dont think any wireless repeaters plug into usb, you must be looking at wireless receivers
---
^ this
#3TheChosen0ne-(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2013 5:01:31 AM
LordSeifer posted...
a wireless repeater will not speed up your internet (unless its running bad in your location)

a wireless repeater DEFINITELY will not stop your internet from being slow because oher people in your house are using the bandwidth

and no, it would not slow down your family, anymore than you using the internet already slows them down. if 3 people are all actively trying to download something, its going to be at best a third of the speed for you.

and yes the wireless repeater needs to be in a location where it is getting near full signal otherwise its got nothing to work with.

I dont think any wireless repeaters plug into usb, you must be looking at wireless receivers

For some reason I thought I saw some plug into USB but I guess I'm wrong. I know they extend the signal and that's what I'm looking for. Better signal=better internet speed. When I use the internet upstairs it's fast as f***. At my room, it's not as fast and downloads should be way faster.
#4SlaynPosted 10/2/2013 5:11:08 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Powerline-Networking/SubCategory/ID-294?&cm_sp=WiredNet40-_-VisNav-_-Powerline

You're welcome.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#5TheChosen0ne-(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2013 5:20:18 AM
Slayn posted...
http://www.newegg.com/Powerline-Networking/SubCategory/ID-294?&cm_sp=WiredNet40-_-VisNav-_-Powerline

You're welcome.

Wait, you plug the thing in the wireless adapter then plug the other end into my computer? If so that's not what Im looking for
#6SlaynPosted 10/2/2013 6:23:27 AM(edited)
TheChosen0ne- posted...
Slayn posted...

You're welcome.

Wait, you plug the thing in the wireless adapter then plug the other end into my computer? If so that's not what Im looking for

You plug it in the wall where the router is, you plug it in the wall next to computer, magical internet through the wall ( ethernet, not wifi ).
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#7TheChosen0ne-(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2013 6:26:34 AM
Slayn posted...
TheChosen0ne- posted...
Slayn posted...

You're welcome.

You plug it in the wall where the router is, you plug it in the wall next to computer, magical internet through the wall ( ethernet, not wifi ).

I don't get along with the person living in the room with the router and this idiot will probably either mess with it or don't want it there at all so that is not an option
#8silvergokuZPosted 10/2/2013 6:50:00 AM
LordSeifer posted...

You can get mini battery powered ones, I assume they could easily run from usb port with the right cable.

What I think the OP is getting at is they get a low speed due to signal rather than the actual broadband itself since they said they get a better speed on a lower floor so when others use it they are closer to router so it gives them priority

If homeplugs are not the answer then get a cheap mini TP link range extender and put one or two on lower floors since if you have a bad signal then the repeater will have the same problem.
---
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.
#9ChudsworthPosted 10/2/2013 6:56:41 AM
Getting a repeater/range extender really won't help, especially if you have more than a few walls between your comp and the router. The interference from the walls will likely diminish your signal either way. Having a larger range doesn't mean walls magically don't exist. It might help if you moved your comp into the middle of your room and then got a range extender but it still won't be great.
#10SinisterSlayPosted 10/2/2013 8:01:11 AM
Usually internet speeds are much lower than LAN speeds. Unless your wireless connection is showing as a lower speed than your internet is capable of, your probably fine.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence