This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

No more clancy shooters?

#1happyscrub1Posted 10/2/2013 8:22:55 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tom-clancy-dead-celebrated-thriller-141800682.html
---
Never forget.... Building #7
#2Ch3wyPosted 10/2/2013 8:25:55 AM
That's sad, he was a good writer.

As far as the games go, they really had little to nothing to do with the books and I doubt Clancy was all that involved with them but maybe I'm wrong about that part.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#3ThePCElitistPosted 10/2/2013 8:26:05 AM
I'm sure the names of his various series will carry on as usual.
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#4johnny_payPosted 10/2/2013 8:27:02 AM
he didnt actually have much to do with the games. the games are just based off of his books
#5MahoganyTooth92Posted 10/2/2013 8:28:07 AM
I don't think this will stop the games, if anything, they'll have more freedom without him around. That said, it's sad he's gone. Without him, there wouldn't have been the first 3 Rainbow 6 games.

Ch3wy posted...
As far as the games go, they really had little to nothing to do with the books and I doubt Clancy was all that involved with them but maybe I'm wrong about that part.

He enforced realism in his games. Splinter cell wouldn't have had the signature 3 lenses goggles if he hadn't been convinced enough.
---
"PC has a $0 a year maintenance fee. The only money I put into my PC is buying more games. Have fun with your subscription based gaming." -SirisS-G-P
#6MonkeymagePosted 10/2/2013 8:35:51 AM
MahoganyTooth92 posted...
I don't think this will stop the games, if anything, they'll have more freedom without him around. That said, it's sad he's gone. Without him, there wouldn't have been the first 3 Rainbow 6 games.

Ch3wy posted...

He enforced realism in his games. Splinter cell wouldn't have had the signature 3 lenses goggles if he hadn't been convinced enough.

Yeah, that quadrupedal mini-nuke firing Metal Gear wannabe in Future Soldier was pretty realistic, yo.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#7MahoganyTooth92Posted 10/2/2013 9:13:35 AM
Monkeymage posted...
MahoganyTooth92 posted...

Ch3wy posted...

Yeah, that quadrupedal mini-nuke firing Metal Gear wannabe in Future Soldier was pretty realistic, yo.

This is only from what I had read. Should've clarified that I wasn't sure.
---
"PC has a $0 a year maintenance fee. The only money I put into my PC is buying more games. Have fun with your subscription based gaming." -SirisS-G-P
#8KillerTrufflePosted 10/2/2013 9:46:38 AM
For things set in the future, I honestly wouldn't put it as out of the realm of possibility - Clancy did have a flair for accuracy and intelligent inference.

He actually reportedly earned himself a visit from the CIA and FBI over his book Cardinal of the Kremlin, based on a satellite image in the book (I believe that was their issue, anyway - Clancy agreed with them never to talk about specifics of the classified information). They asked where he had gotten his information, and he showed them. The end result is that he agreed to send an advance of the completed manuscript to review before it went to the publisher, and he would remove anything they deemed too sensitive or classified.

He also had a smaller run-in when he wrote Hunt for Red October over classification concerns. Apparently portions of that book contained sensitive information, although Clancy was able to demonstrate satisfactorily that A and C were both public information, and the most logical inference was B (which was apparently not public knowledge). Since he demonstrated that he had used no classified sources tho, he was given the OK to publish the book. No word on what portions raised the concern tho.

So yeah, Clancy did tend to make things as accurate as possible - that was one of his trademarks. Obviously it's less likely to match up when talking about the future, but I don't know that I'd go as far as to call it "unrealistic" - at least not entirely.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#9MonkeymagePosted 10/2/2013 10:42:39 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
For things set in the future, I honestly wouldn't put it as out of the realm of possibility - Clancy did have a flair for accuracy and intelligent inference.

He actually reportedly earned himself a visit from the CIA and FBI over his book Cardinal of the Kremlin, based on a satellite image in the book (I believe that was their issue, anyway - Clancy agreed with them never to talk about specifics of the classified information). They asked where he had gotten his information, and he showed them. The end result is that he agreed to send an advance of the completed manuscript to review before it went to the publisher, and he would remove anything they deemed too sensitive or classified.

He also had a smaller run-in when he wrote Hunt for Red October over classification concerns. Apparently portions of that book contained sensitive information, although Clancy was able to demonstrate satisfactorily that A and C were both public information, and the most logical inference was B (which was apparently not public knowledge). Since he demonstrated that he had used no classified sources tho, he was given the OK to publish the book. No word on what portions raised the concern tho.

So yeah, Clancy did tend to make things as accurate as possible - that was one of his trademarks. Obviously it's less likely to match up when talking about the future, but I don't know that I'd go as far as to call it "unrealistic" - at least not entirely.

Future Soldier is set 12 years from the date it launched. Essentially they have perfected a quadruped robot that is a devastating weapons platform with armor that is pretty much impervious to conventional arms fire (small or heavy) within the span of 12 years.

I would believe it more if they gave a synopsis of how that was possible, like if there was some new type of ballistic shielding or an incredibly upgraded version of the Trophy APS. Even so, the mobility of it is awful. It just doesn't seem like a combat-effective piece of hardware.

Most of the rest of the game is fairly realistic, that's really my only sticking point.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#10fatboy44Posted 10/2/2013 10:43:45 AM
Whenever I think Clancy I think about that Maddox article awhile ago, where he made a "Tom Clancy Plot Generator". Funny stuff.