This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

No more clancy shooters?

#11KillerTrufflePosted 10/2/2013 10:55:34 AM
Monkeymage posted...
Future Soldier is set 12 years from the date it launched. Essentially they have perfected a quadruped robot that is a devastating weapons platform with armor that is pretty much impervious to conventional arms fire (small or heavy) within the span of 12 years.

I would believe it more if they gave a synopsis of how that was possible, like if there was some new type of ballistic shielding or an incredibly upgraded version of the Trophy APS. Even so, the mobility of it is awful. It just doesn't seem like a combat-effective piece of hardware.

Most of the rest of the game is fairly realistic, that's really my only sticking point.

That isn't implausible. There have been a whole lot of recent advances in material strength lately - a new synthetic silk that's stronger than steel (per weight) and more resilient than kevlar... new types of ballistic armor including self-healing armor... advances in carbon fiber for lightweight strength in supporting frames... It is absolutely possible that by 2024 we could easily have materials that are effectively impervious to traditional ballistic weapons. With the advances we have in place even today, I'd actually almost go as far as to say it's *likely* we will have those types of materials.

http://inhabitat.com/spibers-synthetic-spider-silk-is-lighter-than-steel-tougher-than-kevlar/
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#12matu90rkPosted 10/2/2013 11:03:45 AM
http://tcpgen.tripod.com/

"Communists devise a scheme to steal plans that need to be explained in layman terms for ransom under the watchful eye of corrupt US diplomats. The plot twists when the Communists threaten to blow up the White House even after their demands are met. Millions of lives are at stake unless a turncoat naval officer can gain the courage to do the right thing and stop the Communists once and for all. The movie ends with a mildly comical and/or ironic scene in which the Communists blow up or go to prison. Another satisfying tale of political intrigue and personal redemption closes, and we all walk away from this movie a little wiser."