This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If AMD Mantle helps with cross platform development, wouldn't Sony and MS...

#1runromPosted 10/2/2013 10:35:31 AM
...more than likely prevent Xbox 1 and PS4 titles from being ported over to the PC? Or would it entirely be left to developers (assuming that the developers aren't tied to Sony or MS as a first-party)?
---
MBP 2009 | Intel i5 3570k + Powercolor 7870 Myst | HP Touchpad 32gb CM9 | MyTouch4g running 4.1
Now part of the 500 posts club.
#2KillerTrufflePosted 10/2/2013 10:41:37 AM
If games are cross-platform between the two systems, there's really nothing at all that would prevent them from being ported to PC. Sony and MS are competitors - I don't see them cooperating to prevent games they share from coming to PC.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3Lonestar2000Posted 10/2/2013 11:17:27 AM
Depends on the exclusivity in the contract that the devs sign with the console makers.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#4wildog2006Posted 10/2/2013 9:54:23 PM
So it will come out later than the console versions? Don't we already have that problem?
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
#5CC RicersPosted 10/2/2013 10:23:34 PM
Lonestar2000 posted...
Depends on the exclusivity in the contract that the devs sign with the console makers.

---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#6zerooo0Posted 10/2/2013 10:46:13 PM
I would think it would help the AMD crowds on PC at least since they both use an AMD architecture. Basically giving them less reasons not to at least port it over from consoles.
---
Starwars Battlefront+Destiny+Titanfall+Battlefield 4+Halo 5=Me in FPS heaven for these next few years.
#7snkboiPosted 10/2/2013 10:50:03 PM
if the game is made by a 3rd party developer it can be released pc
---
i think it's nice
#8MasterDonGeroPosted 10/3/2013 11:50:13 AM
"Mantle" would only help those with AMD hardware, if at all (Do both CPU AND GPU have to be AMD?). Maybe this would be a reason for someone to go PC instead of console. But, it's highly doubtful that will be the reason someone would abandon console gaming.

But, it's not going to be something that causes a significant drop in their profit, so Microsoft and Sony don't care. Maybe that's even more relevant because they know "Mantle" is bulls***.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#9YoungAdultLinkPosted 10/3/2013 11:53:55 AM
MasterDonGero posted...
"Mantle" would only help those with AMD hardware, if at all (Do both CPU AND GPU have to be AMD?). Maybe this would be a reason for someone to go PC instead of console. But, it's highly doubtful that will be the reason someone would abandon console gaming.

But, it's not going to be something that causes a significant drop in their profit, so Microsoft and Sony don't care. Maybe that's even more relevant because they know "Mantle" is bulls***.

It only said it required the graphics card support. Also, they're making it open and allowing any other graphics manufacturers to include support on their cards for free. Not like when Nvidia bought Ageia and then tried to get everyone to license PhysX from them.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#10DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/3/2013 12:19:59 PM
YoungAdultLink posted...
MasterDonGero posted...

It only said it required the graphics card support. Also, they're making it open and allowing any other graphics manufacturers to include support on their cards for free. Not like when Nvidia bought Ageia and then tried to get everyone to license PhysX from them.

Assuming Mantle isn't too GCN-oriented. Might not be practical to try to force it to work with Kepler or Maxwell, and you can bet AMD would want royalties for nVidia making GCN GPUs.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64