This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need software that allows me to check what has been deleted in a disk and...

#1Relentless639Posted 10/2/2013 11:23:18 AM
another to actually delete files permanently.

I have used these stuff before but forgot the names.

I know a simple SHIFT+Delete doesn't actually delete a file. I need something to pass data over it or something, you know what I'm saying?
And I want a program that allows me to check/recover "deleted" files to see if everything was deleted for sure.
#2matu90rkPosted 10/2/2013 11:24:39 AM
I known TuneUp Utilities has file recovery and shredder utilities.
#3AlavardPosted 10/2/2013 11:34:24 AM
Best windows utility I know of to make sure files are deleted permanently is sdelete, written by Mark Russonovich (I think microsoft actually hosts it now on their website)

It's a command line tool with a few handy options.

The -p flag allows you specify multiple passes

The -z flag allows you to 'clean out' your free space, basically overwriting all empty space of a drive with garbage
#4Relentless639(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2013 11:36:57 AM
command line? I want something with an interface.
I was looking a File Shredder, on the website with the same name.
#5YoungAdultLinkPosted 10/2/2013 11:38:36 AM
Command line is an interface. It's just not a graphical interface.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#6wizardmonPosted 10/2/2013 11:38:40 AM
Recuva, ccleaner.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#7Relentless639(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2013 11:48:14 AM
I'd rather it be a graphical interface then.
I looked into SDelete and by chance I found "Eraser", which was the software I did use before (but couldn't remember).
Do you guys think it's reliable?

>Recuva
That name sounds familiar, let me check...
#8wizardmonPosted 10/2/2013 11:55:32 AM
Relentless639 posted...
I'd rather it be a graphical interface then.
I looked into SDelete and by chance I found "Eraser", which was the software I did use before (but couldn't remember).
Do you guys think it's reliable?

>Recuva
That name sounds familiar, let me check...

Recuva allows you to scan the entire drive for deleted files, it will also attempt to retain the file structure of said files so you can see where they where deleted at. It has a secure file deletion built in but it's not as robusts as CCleaner (both free, both from the same people).

CCleaner allows you to do basic garbage files/registry cleaning, it also has a secure file deletion built in with several different methods allowing you to wipe drives/wipe free space. It's, however, not made to just delete one specific file at a time.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#9Relentless639(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2013 3:29:50 PM
I used Eraser with a 3 pass, uh... algorythm? method? ...but 1 pass alone should be enough right?
I installed Recuva but it seems it'll take a while so I'll run it later. Had to uninstall a few additional crap I didn't ask for though.
#10ChetyrePosted 10/2/2013 3:37:17 PM
One pass is enough if you are not trying to hide something from the police. No normal person will be able to recover anything
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar