This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Watch Dogs PC specs revealed

#81NicodimusPosted 10/3/2013 10:44:55 AM
FinalForm7 posted...
Just overclock your i5 guys and it will be fine.

As soon as this info came out, my i5 turned into salami. Everyone knows salami doesn't overclock well. :(
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#82JonWood007Posted 10/3/2013 10:46:44 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
I told people all year, even last year.. Get an i7, it's worth the extra $100 just to have it but everyone insisted that it's stupid to buy an i5 and then people bring up the consoles being 8 core machines, people just laugh and call them peasants.

See how much influence consoles has on PC gaming.

I've been saying all year that if you can wait to upgrade, wait to upgrade. It's always a poor time to upgrade when new consoles come out, because it's hard to tell how the next gen consoles will react to new hardware. System requirements often balloon in the year or two after release, and then start to level off. Like, my old athlon XP. It ran everything up to 360 launch titles fine. 2006 onward, it went from being decent, to being crap overnight. I feel like my phenom II is gonna meet the same fate honestly, looking at BF4 beta and all, if that's anywhere near representative of the final product.

It's generally a bad idea to have below "recommended" for CPUs. While you can skate by at a low resolution on the "minimum" video card requirement, if your CPU is below recommended, games chug. TF2 and BF2142 "recommended" a P4 3.0 GHz and my Athlon 3200 chugged badly on them. Planetside 2 and BF4, on the other hand, recommend AMD X6s and intel quads....and my phenom II stutters on both.

So yeah, I have to agree Xeeh, it's best to go overkill on CPU. However, it's even better, if you have decent hardware, to wait for things to settle down with this next gen stuff. I mean, i5s are generally considered on top, with i7s providing very few real world benefits. And AMD FXs are known to be inferior to i5s because their cores aren't put to use. This is common knowledge for PCs for most of 2013.

However, common knowledge is showing to be wrong with next gen consoles, and I've been suspecting this, as have many others. It's been known next gen will use 8 cores, and it's been suspected that this may mean PCs may also start using 8 cores. That being said, it was beneficial to wait for benchmarks like this before buying. And honestly, seeing how next gen is just kicking off, I still suggest for people to wait if their systems can stomach next gen games. CPU progress is only going to improve in the coming 2 years or so, and by 2015, we'll be seeing stronger, and more multicore processors, that will likely allow PC gamers to skate through next gen. Remember, 360 came out in 2005, and PS3 came out in 2006. In 2007, Q6600 hit the market, and that's been a good CPU all up through this gen. It's only been showing its age recently.

One thing I am concerned about though is the rate at which requirements are going up. With watch dogs basically REQUIRING a core 2 quad just to RUN, it's probably going to have a bad framerate. This means that phenom IIs like mine are probably gonna struggle too. And if BF4 is any indication, system requirements are really ratcheting up. It's like games aren't being well optimzied for PC because they have more powerful console hardware to work with. BF3 and BF4 dont look all that much different to me (BF4 maybe having a couple extra bells and whistles on ultra, but that's about it), but I could run BF3 at 50+ average FPS on ultra, while BF4 chokes and sputters at an average of 40 FPS on the lowest settings (and by chokes and sputters, the FPS range is like 6-60, vs the 35-95 range in BF3).

So even if you get a new CPU now, I wouldn't count on it holding up all gen. As I said, if people can wait to upgrade a year or two, I'd highly recommend it.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#83wildog2006Posted 10/3/2013 10:56:49 AM
no problem here

3770k + 4GB 670

bring it on
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.