This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I can't figure out why my PC crashes when idle.

#1torres007Posted 10/2/2013 2:05:58 PM
This has been going on since early August I think. And my workaround was to leave something slightly processor intensive running when I am afk.

If I leave me PC idle for about 5 to 10 minutes, the computer will freeze and I have to hard power it down, and the event manager only logs the hard shutdown. I can't remember exactly when this issue started.

I decided to leave task manager open for a few crashes, and it turns out these processes are running when it crashes:

Antimalware Service Executable at about 18% CPU usage

Windows Modules Installer Worker at 15%

Windows Host Process(rundll32) also around 15%

I disabled Windows Defender, and it still crashes. I always have my PC on max performance mode.

I really don't feel like formatting.

i7 4770k, disabled my OC about a week ago
16 gb ram, passed memtest
GTX660Ti SLI
Samsung 840 Pro 512 gb, latest firmware
Creative ZxR latest drivers
3 different WD Black Hard drives
---
Torres man get a sig.
#2PhilOnDezPosted 10/2/2013 3:07:56 PM
Haswell uses very little power while idle, your PSU might not be capable of providing little enough power to prevent itself from just shutting down.

You can try setting your minimum processor state to 50% or something like that under power options, but I'm not sure if there's any way to test your PSU outside of replacing it since it most likely isn't defective even if it's giving you trouble. If you do try to replace it make sure you get one that's Haswell compatible, it's not just marketing BS.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez