This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Great news! Watch Dogs is going to be 64-bit ONLY!

#1ZeroRaiderPosted 10/2/2013 5:06:57 PM(edited)
FINALLY. I am tired of the 32-bit peasants holding us back. They've been doing so for the past decade. Even Windows XP had a 64-bit version FFS!

It is absolutely EMBARRASSING here in the year 2013 that there are still people on modern systems running 32-bit OSes. With this and the Battlefield 4 beta running 64-bit only it looks like we are finally going to see PC games taking advantage of the massive amounts of RAM that every PC gamer should have by now.

If you have 32-bit Windows 7 or Windows 8... what the hell were you thinking? That's like buying a brand new car that can't go faster than 45 mph. How have you been gaming with an operating system that can't use more than 3 GB of RAM?! I don't know why 32-bit Windows 7 and Windows 8 even exist, but you should be ashamed if you're running an operating system newer than XP and it's not 64-bit. You should also be ashamed if you are running XP.

tl;dr you should be ashamed if you aren't on a 64-bit OS.
#2wizardmonPosted 10/2/2013 5:07:43 PM
I find it funny that 32 bit consumer versions of Windows 7 and 8 exist when you haven't been able to buy a 32 bit CPU in ages.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#3Orestes417Posted 10/2/2013 5:12:03 PM
wizardmon posted...
I find it funny that 32 bit consumer versions of Windows 7 and 8 exist when you haven't been able to buy a 32 bit CPU in ages.


Legacy software's a pain.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#4StormKMDPosted 10/2/2013 5:12:15 PM
Watch Dogs looks great and I'm excited for it.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
#5AlleRacingPosted 10/2/2013 5:12:55 PM
Does anyone even use 32-bit Windows any more? I assume some are still running 32-bit XP, but I have to imagine anyone on 7 or 8 and hell, even Vista, are running 64-bit.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#6ZeroRaider(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2013 5:14:25 PM
Orestes417 posted...
wizardmon posted...
I find it funny that 32 bit consumer versions of Windows 7 and 8 exist when you haven't been able to buy a 32 bit CPU in ages.


Legacy software's a pain.


Can you name a single 32-bit program that 64-bit Windows can't run?
#7Orestes417Posted 10/2/2013 5:16:53 PM
Sure, but their names won't mean anything to you. Corporate middleware mostly with the occasional in house codebase
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#8ZeroRaider(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2013 5:19:58 PM(edited)
AlleRacing posted...
Does anyone even use 32-bit Windows any more? I assume some are still running 32-bit XP, but I have to imagine anyone on 7 or 8 and hell, even Vista, are running 64-bit.


Oh yes they do.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Windows 8 32-bit 0.79%
Windows 7 32-bit 12.83%
Windows Vista 32 bit 2.07%
Windows XP 32 bit 6.96%

Around 22% of Steam players are running a 32-bit Windows OS.

Just a little bit over 20% of the market has been holding us hostage this year. For DX10/DX11 only games, 15% of Windows Vista/7/8 have been holding the rest of us 85% 64-bit Windows Vista/7/8 hostage.

I'm glad to see developers finally ceasing to cater to this small minority of people who made a poor purchasing decision and not holding the rest of us back anymore.

Orestes417 posted...
Sure, but their names won't mean anything to you. Corporate middleware mostly with the occasional in house codebase


I don't see how that is relevant to PC gaming. Just how many PC gamers are there having to rock a 32-bit OS for critical old proprietary software on their home gaming PCs? Why aren't these people running virtual machines?
#9Reaper_MinionPosted 10/2/2013 5:19:35 PM
ZeroRaider posted...
Orestes417 posted...
wizardmon posted...
I find it funny that 32 bit consumer versions of Windows 7 and 8 exist when you haven't been able to buy a 32 bit CPU in ages.


Legacy software's a pain.


Can you name a single 32-bit program that 64-bit Windows can't run?


16-bit programs don't run on 64-bit OS.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#10MaximoomPosted 10/2/2013 5:23:51 PM
Great news indeed.

I remember when i was building my pc, a friend suggested me to get two 4gb rams, but i decided on a single 8gb ram instead, this will now prove a good decision since I will be getting a second 8gb and make full use of it.