This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Great news! Watch Dogs is going to be 64-bit ONLY!

#11Bazooka_PenguinPosted 10/2/2013 4:29:37 PM
I doubt the games are actually going to use more than 2-3GB of RAM anyways.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#12Orestes417Posted 10/2/2013 4:39:15 PM
Who said anything about gamers? The statement was he found it amusing 32-bit Windows still existed.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#13OreoBoy206Posted 10/2/2013 4:45:50 PM
We will probably see a lot more 64 bit only games on Windows once next gen consoles launch and the current gen consoles starts to fade away.
#14wizardmonPosted 10/2/2013 4:59:05 PM
Bazooka_Penguin posted...

I think the opposite now actually, newer consoles have lots of ram for games to use compared to the old ones, so developers are going to be a lot less worried about going over memory budgets compared to how it is now.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#15DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/2/2013 5:04:05 PM(edited)
wizardmon posted...

I think the opposite now actually, newer consoles have lots of ram for games to use compared to the old ones, so developers are going to be a lot less worried about going over memory budgets compared to how it is now.

Will still likely hit 5gb as the new cap. These consoles now are more pc than ever and with multitasking and os overhead they aren't going to be able to fully utilize all the ram for gaming.

That said... once you breach the 4gb 32 bit limit, its not like its much of a bother to offer the option of more. We will be complaining about consoles holding us back soon enough yet again.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#16wizardmonPosted 10/2/2013 5:19:02 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Will still likely hit 5gb as the new cap. These consoles now are more pc than ever and with multitasking and os overhead they aren't going to be able to fully utilize all the ram for gaming.

That said... once you breach the 4gb 32 bit limit, its not like its much of a bother to offer the option of more. We will be complaining about consoles holding us back soon enough yet again.

What I mean is currently a console game uses 300~MB of ram and the same game ported to PC uses 2 to 4GB of ram.

I don't imagine it unrealistic for 10+ GB of RAM to be desirable for PC gamers in three years time. And I give the three year number because of the time it takes for developers to get used to the system and fit the most they can into the restrictions they are working with.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#17Knight2520Posted 10/2/2013 5:49:35 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
wizardmon posted...

That's why they have 8 GB total, with 3 GB reserved for system use (at least in the PS4's case). So that 5 GB limit is not actually all that outlandish.
---
If AMD goes down Intel might safely release i9 for $300 and i7 for $200 and i5 for $100 and i3 for free. - su27Chaos<
#18Bazooka_PenguinPosted 10/2/2013 5:54:08 PM
wizardmon posted...

But consoles have shared system and graphics memory. The situation is different for PCs
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#19DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/2/2013 6:03:31 PM
Knight2520 posted...
That's why they have 8 GB total, with 3 GB reserved for system use (at least in the PS4's case). So that 5 GB limit is not actually all that outlandish.

Uhhhh...That was my point. 5GB for gaming. Vram and system ram are one in the same on the consoles while they are still segregated on pc. I have roughly 6GB of system RAM available for a game plus 2GB VRAM. I'm curious as to the advantages/disadvantages the consoles unified memory structure will bring.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#20Knight2520Posted 10/2/2013 6:52:06 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Knight2520 posted...

Uhhhh...That was my point. 5GB for gaming. Vram and system ram are one in the same on the consoles while they are still segregated on pc. I have roughly 6GB of system RAM available for a game plus 2GB VRAM. I'm curious as to the advantages/disadvantages the consoles unified memory structure will bring.

My mistake, I missed the first sentence of your post. It's late. >.>
---
If AMD goes down Intel might safely release i9 for $300 and i7 for $200 and i5 for $100 and i3 for free. - su27Chaos<