This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It' ballooning, but i've come down to two build choices! Advice welcome!

#21Last Grand MageX2Posted 10/2/2013 7:36:45 PM
If you're absolutely set against OCing, then there's no need to get an aftermarket cooler, or a k processor, the k indicates that it's unlocked, and capable of OCing. But seriously the only thing I would change about the i5/770 build would possibly be looking into an AMD GPU at the same price point, or possibly bumping the GPU up a level.

The thing about the i5 is that it's basically the best gaming CPU on the market, and there isn't really even a competitor. The i3 is a significant drop, and the i7 doesn't offer noticeable gains in most games, and costs way more.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#22Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2013 7:59:27 PM
So what about a
I5 4570 and a 2gb 770?

If I drop the SSD and lower my system ram to 8gb, I can come in at 1070$

I would love to hit 1000$ or under, but I can live with 1070$.

I still need to buy the OS. Anyway, for a htpc on a tv playing big picture, I think it would be a great little system for controller based gaming and streaming to my shield. Plus a 770 is a large noticeable step up from my 680m
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#23Last Grand MageX2Posted 10/2/2013 8:14:04 PM
Voelger posted...
So what about a
I5 4570 and a 2gb 770?

If I drop the SSD and lower my system ram to 8gb, I can come in at 1070$

I would love to hit 1000$ or under, but I can live with 1070$.

I still need to buy the OS. Anyway, for a htpc on a tv playing big picture, I think it would be a great little system for controller based gaming and streaming to my shield. Plus a 770 is a large noticeable step up from my 680m

Did you also cut the price of getting the aftermarket cooler in your new price? if you're not getting the k, then no need for the cooler. 8GB system ram is more than enough, I actually didn't notice you had bumped it up to 16GB, I would've told you to bring that back down. If you're planning on using this for gaming on the TV, I'd say that the 4GB would be worth it.

However it seems like you're intending to use this as a living room gaming machine, presumably building it in anticipation of SteamOS and the Steam controller, in which case my advice is to wait on actually purchasing anything, at least until the new AMD GPU line drops sometime this month. Even though I know you want an Nvidia card to stream to the Shield, it's likely that the new AMD cards will affect the pricing of Nvidia's line as well.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch