This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you think of "open betas" with paid features?

#1capgamerPosted 10/2/2013 5:10:03 PM
What do you think of "open betas" with paid features? - Results (72 votes)
I like it, it's fun when a game gets constantly updated even if it's just bugfixes/nerfs and buffs
0% (0 votes)
I like it, it allows games to succeed that might not even have been made otherwise
2.78% (2 votes)
I like it, as long as it's not "Pay To Win" (buying gear which makes you directly stronger)
19.44% (14 votes)
I don't really have an opinion about it. I don't play those games.
6.94% (5 votes)
I don't like it. It's kind of sleazy to call something a "beta" and then charge money for it.
59.72% (43 votes)
I don't like it. I hate dealing with bugs and in-progress content or waiting on nerfs/buffs that take WAY too long.
4.17% (3 votes)
Every beta is open when you HAX like me
6.94% (5 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'm kinda drifting around number 5. I like the fact that they're mostly free, but I don't think it's right to call something a "beta" to excuse yourself for the massive amount of bugs, balance issues, etc. in your game and then charge money for it like it's a complete product.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#2DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/2/2013 5:13:53 PM
Option 6. I don't have time for beta. Give me the full release later. I don't care if there is a discount unless its huge. Arma 3 was the only game that I've purchased and played before it was officially released. That game is in perpetual beta though and had some friends that wanted to try it.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#3KilronPosted 10/2/2013 5:24:57 PM
Well, Warframe has a cash shop, but you don't actually need it. The only stuff that cannot be found in game is the purely cosmetic stuff, and extra weapon/warframe space*.

I'd have to go with "As long as it's not P2W".

* And the founder's package items, but that's not really any different from the paid tiers several alpha/beta games have in place already, and the only decent item is a slightly different version of one of the starting frames, Excalibur. But even that is considered worse than the regular version by the community.
---
A duck walks into a doctor's office and says, "Quack!"
#4R i c kPosted 10/2/2013 5:28:30 PM
capgamer posted...
I don't think it's right to call something a "beta" to excuse yourself for the massive amount of bugs, balance issues, etc. in your game and then charge money for it like it's a complete product.

This. As soon as you start asking money for a product it should be the same as saying "I think this is in a state to be fairly reviewed" and I think reviewers should do just that. It would discourage the growing trend of paid early access bs.

When a game is pretty much complete but the devs just want to add lots of content and they decide to release early, that's fine. Something like Kerbal Space Program is fine. I've seen videos quite awhile ago where the game looked to be in pretty good shape and they've just been adding content since they starting charging for it. The vast majority of paid early access, though, aren't in any state to play much less enjoy.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#5thatfool12GsPosted 10/2/2013 5:43:14 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Option 6. I don't have time for beta. Give me the full release later. I don't care if there is a discount unless its huge. Arma 3 was the only game that I've purchased and played before it was officially released. That game is in perpetual beta though and had some friends that wanted to try it.

You still playing Arma 3?
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#6jake-sfPosted 10/2/2013 5:53:36 PM
Kilron posted...

I'd say that with the consideration that paying to get something significantly faster than others is pay to win.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#7Orestes417Posted 10/2/2013 5:54:10 PM
jake-sf posted...
Kilron posted...

I'd say that with the consideration that paying to get something significantly faster than others is pay to win.

You'd be wrong.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#8KilronPosted 10/2/2013 6:58:38 PM
jake-sf posted...
Kilron posted...

In PVP, I would agree depending on if the equipment is objectively better, but Warframe is PVE focused, you basically skip whole parts of the game when you buy a frame or weapon. And some weapons can't even be bought, let alone used, until higher mastery rank anyways. There's no getting past it, you want a rocket launcher in Warframe, you're working for the rank needed to use it whether you pay for the gun, or research it in your clan dojo. Throw in that all weapons are usable and the best stuff isn't always at the highest rank, and you can understand why I don't see any reason to buy Warframe weapons.
---
A duck walks into a doctor's office and says, "Quack!"
#9BrutaI_DeluxePosted 10/2/2013 8:26:47 PM
You mean scams? Not too fond of people charging me to play incomplete content.
#10anonymous46773Posted 10/2/2013 10:57:16 PM
As long as it's not P2W, I don't really mind. It's then up to the consumer whether to pay money or not in a beta.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.