This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think video games are expensive?

#121JKatarnPosted 10/3/2013 2:03:32 PM
Born Lucky posted...
renzsweet posted...
Games cost way more in the 80s

So did VCRs, so what's your point.?

The point is, despite being exponentially more expensive to produce (for AAA games anyway), games are actually cheaper than they were in the era of platformers and arcade ports that could be beaten in a few hours.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#122ElementalWindPosted 10/4/2013 4:11:42 AM
No if you play everything late (THE CAKE IS A LIE YOU GUYS) and you're likely to be story spoiled because the game has been out forever.
Of course, you might be safe on GameFAQs, where there is essentially no expiration date for spoilers!
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero
#123SlaynPosted 10/4/2013 4:14:08 AM
ElementalWind posted...
No if you play everything late (THE CAKE IS A LIE YOU GUYS) and you're likely to be story spoiled because the game has been out forever.
Of course, you might be safe on GameFAQs, where there is essentially no expiration date for spoilers!

I saw someone's account get banned for RDR spoilers in his topic ( purposely )... and I just bought the game.... :(
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#124EpicKingdom_Posted 10/4/2013 4:35:22 AM
If you game on PC.... NO.
If you game on console.. LOL PEASANTS STOP. $60.
---
3570k (212 Evo) | Z77 Extreme 4 | Sapphire 7850 2GB OC | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | XFX PRO650w CE | 1TB Black WD | Fractal Design Define R4 | 3840x1080 | Logitech Z623
#125darkstar4221Posted 10/6/2013 12:09:25 PM(edited)
Thescyy posted...
darkstar4221 posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
^ A videogame will only ever be worth what you think it's worth. Not worth it at 60? Wait until it is a price you are more acceptable to. Worth 20 dollars in your eyes and it never hits that mark? Too bad
The world doesn't revolve around you and 60 dollars is actually paying less than we did 10 years at 50 dollars when you account for inflation and increased budgets. Oh but that isn't 'your' problem right? Yeah actually it is. Now put your tinfoil hat back on and crawl back into whatever dank hole you call home.

lol now you are full of bs, paying $60 is still $60 that is the retail price. 10 years ago was it was $50 and in many occasions PS2/Xbox/GC games retailed at $40 or less, I remember. Were you born yesterday? And keep in mind there was no automatic updates back then so Sony couldn't track you if you modded your console.

I never implied the world evolved around me nor did I say that entertainment was a right, I simply stated that the price of gaming has gone up dramatically. And it's not just the video games, but the console, the accessories, the controllers, etc. The PS2 retailed at $299 within two years it was $199. The PS3 retailed at $600 and after 7 years you still can't find the PS3 at a good value for $199 unless you buy it used.

Durrr, I don't understand that money doesn't have a constant value. Tell that to the trillionaires in Zimbabwe.

Inflation has little to do with the cost of video games because software (such as video games) are easily reproducible. Inflation has more effect on good that are more scarce or more difficult to reproduce.

Saying that $60 is $50 is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, video games are not priced on the rate of inflation. The fact is 10 years ago the retail price for video games is $50, now it's $60 that is a $10 increase. The PS2 retailed at $299.99 the PS3 launch price was $599.99. The PS3 cost more then twice as much as the PS2, etc, etc. That is an increase in the cost of gaming.
#126SlaynPosted 10/6/2013 12:15:26 PM
darkstar4221 posted...
Thescyy posted...
darkstar4221 posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
^ A videogame will only ever be worth what you think it's worth. Not worth it at 60? Wait until it is a price you are more acceptable to. Worth 20 dollars in your eyes and it never hits that mark? Too bad
The world doesn't revolve around you and 60 dollars is actually paying less than we did 10 years at 50 dollars when you account for inflation and increased budgets. Oh but that isn't 'your' problem right? Yeah actually it is. Now put your tinfoil hat back on and crawl back into whatever dank hole you call home.

lol now you are full of bs, paying $60 is still $60 that is the retail price. 10 years ago was it was $50 and in many occasions PS2/Xbox/GC games retailed at $40 or less, I remember. Were you born yesterday? And keep in mind there was no automatic updates back then so Sony couldn't track you if you modded your console.

I never implied the world evolved around me nor did I say that entertainment was a right, I simply stated that the price of gaming has gone up dramatically. And it's not just the video games, but the console, the accessories, the controllers, etc. The PS2 retailed at $299 within two years it was $199. The PS3 retailed at $600 and after 7 years you still can't find the PS3 at a good value for $199 unless you buy it used.

Durrr, I don't understand that money doesn't have a constant value. Tell that to the trillionaires in Zimbabwe.

Inflation has little to do with the cost of video games because software (such as video games) are easily reproducible. Inflation has more effect on good that are more scarce or more difficult to reproduce.

Saying that $60 is $50 is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, video games are not priced on the rate of inflation. The fact is 10 years ago the retail price for video games is $50, now it's $60 that is a $10 increase. The PS2 retailed at $299.99 the PS3 launch price was $599.99. The PS3 cost more then twice as much as the PS2, etc, etc. That is an increase in the cost of gaming.

The PS4 is $400. If PS2 cost $300 in 2010 and the PS4 is $400 in 2013... that sounds about right.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#127darkstar4221Posted 10/6/2013 12:30:47 PM
Slayn posted...
darkstar4221 posted...
Thescyy posted...
darkstar4221 posted...
DV8ingSources posted...

The PS4 is $400. If PS2 cost $300 in 2010 and the PS4 is $400 in 2013... that sounds about right.

If a PS2 cost $300 in 2010 it's because there is a scarcity of PS2s since Sony no longer manufactures PS2s. It has nothing to do with inflation.

PS4 is $400 but with no PS3 BC, but for Sony it was much cheaper to create the PS4 then the PS3 because the parts for the PS4 are much cheaper, and AMD charges less for Sony to use their technology then what NVIDIA and IBM offered. Again nothing to do with inflation
#128kill2thisPosted 10/6/2013 12:37:11 PM
No I don't think games are expensive, I feel the time/enjoyment I get from them is relative to what I pay, Now if we're talking about my wife buying books $15 (I'm from the UK so my conversions rough) then I feel those are expensive for what they are, paper.
#129ElfergosPosted 10/6/2013 12:39:53 PM
I bought arkham asylum off steam for 3 - I felt quite bad for paying so little for such incredible workmanship.
#130GipFacePosted 10/6/2013 12:44:41 PM(edited)
No.

People spend $25 at a movie theater ($15 ticket, $10 popcorn and drink) for 2 hours of entertainment. And big-name celebs still get to buy their gold-plated swimming pools and seaside mansions.

New games should cost $150 when you really think about it. lolol

In Japan, a new eroge/visual novel costs 10240 yen, or about $110. They have no problem paying those prices.