This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will a new CPU increase gaming performance a lot?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Will a new CPU increase gaming performance a lot?
2 years ago#1
my current specs:

amd fx 6100 3.5 ghz
16 gb ram
gtx 760 oc evga
windows 8

i am wondering if i bought thus combo deal if i would see any type of decent increase in gaming.

its weird, my current build can play some new games like metro and skyrim on high settings and do good, but games like amnesia kinda choppy at times.

do u guys think it would be worth 300 bucks or should i wait awhile?
2 years ago#2
Ya, that CPU and motherboard would be a great upgrade for gaming. I would still suggest a Z87 motherboard, though.
--- | |
2 years ago#3
You'd be going from a mediocre CPU to what is essentially the top-shelf gaming CPU. It's probably the upgrade that your system would see the biggest boost from, in terms of gaming.
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
2 years ago#4
I just made a similar jump from fx6100 to 4770k. Big difference, not in all games but most. Dayz from 20-40 to 40-capped 60. GTA IV 30-40 to capped 55. Farcry 3 40-60 to capped 60.

Invest in a cooler right off the bat. I went with an H60 seems to work well. After playing BF3 for a while highest temp was 61. Case is decent airflow with a gpu that expels hot air into case.
2 years ago#5
That'd be a nice upgrade, but the downside is the motherboard uses the H87 chipset, so the overclockable i5-4670K won't be overclockable at it needs a Z87 motherboard. It'll still perform fine, you just won't be able to overclock it.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Will a new CPU increase gaming performance a lot?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived