This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Want to know the problem with PvP?

#41Orestes417Posted 10/3/2013 5:39:04 PM
I'm in the process of deciding on a new one. I'll let you know when the time comes.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#42Sc24lifePosted 10/3/2013 5:46:22 PM
jake-sf posted...
You don't. The older you get, the less appeal any of these games have. Well, on a personal level I still do well on most games I play compared to the masses. Its best to stick to new concepts and games where everybody is a beginner at the same time as you. That can have some lasting fun. Chivalry was fun, for instance. Until all the wannabe pro-clanner ruin every match, because hey, I only play once every week.

Kind of reminds me when I played Smash Brothers when I was younger. We only played it casually and had a lot of fun. Then a friend got so serious at the game and got competitive, it was never fun again. I've grown to be unappreciative of skilled people in PvP games. I'd rather just play people that DON'T play that specific game all day/week/month long.

I can totally relate. This is exactly why I don't play multiplayer games that I miss out on or take a heavy brake from. I used to be one of the best aircraft pilots in BF3 at launch. Am I going to go back and get my but whooped by people who have any new unlocks and have played the game at least 3 hours per day for every day I've been gone? Heck no, not gunna happen. It sucks because that is one of the most fun experiences I've had in a game, and now it is literally impossible to have unless I dedicated exorbitant amount of time to catch up.

I understand the argument for matchmaking systems. I do like them, however, they almost* force players into always playing against opponents that are of around equal skill. I remember the days of custom servers each having their own culture and skill level and picking and choosing what kind of games you want to play on that particular day. Some say games like starcraft and league have custom games, but it's not really the same.
---
"planetside 2 would only have 30 people running around on a small map fighting."
- GunWolfAlpha
#43JKatarnPosted 10/4/2013 11:21:32 AM
Myself9 posted...
AND

If you dare start playing a game which has unlockable content a fews years after it comes out, you're even MORE screwed.

I played BF3 since launch on the PS3 and 360, and picked up the PC version 2 months ago so I could play with a bunch of my friends.

Not fun, from a competitive standpoint. No scopes, no flak, no sprint, no NOTHING.
It's like bringing a squirt gun to a tank fight.

I have fun squading up with my friends, but I've had to resort to either being 2nd seat in a vehicle (and kicking ass) or being "bait" during gunbattles. Whatever.

Swear to god BF2MC had a matchmaking system which matched you up with players based on your rank/level. What the hell happened to that?

That's what happens when games lean more toward rewarding time invested than player skill. Not that it doesn't take skill, but when new players are at such a disadvantage right off the bat, it's hardly fair, and getting a kill on someone who doesn't have your various perks and equipment and is effectively neutered is hardly a demonstration of skill.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#44JKatarnPosted 10/4/2013 11:23:58 AM
Nicodimus posted...
Boge posted...
So it's supposed to be fun to join in something and just lose over and over and over again? I don't get it. I'm not sure I've ever known a person to enjoy that.

Haven't you heard? Gaming is no longer about fun. It's about getting ground into paste for hours so your gaming skills improve slightly.

You're forgetting the delightful linguistic skills of your charming opponents.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#45Moorish_IdolPosted 10/4/2013 12:37:48 PM
Would someone please tell me what scobbed means? Literally one of the stupidest words I've seen in a long time.