This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So steambox or gaming PC?

#1HMJIM707Posted 10/3/2013 9:44:09 AM
I have been planing on getting one of my friends to help me build a gaming PC within the next six (6) months or so. I was looking to drop about a max of $900 or so.

I have alway been a fan of plug and play systems. Last gen I had a Wii for a bit and a PS4 as my main systems of choice.

I was planning on skipping this gen and just building the PC and going steam. Then i heard about the steambox. I dont know much about it. I cant find much info about it either.

The question I ask you guys is it really worth it over a gaming PC? I would love to have a system that lets me play PC games that I can easyly cart around from place to place.

I dont care too much about graphics so its ok if its underpowered. As long as its easy to play on my tv and will play PC games and is cheaper than building a gaming PC iswhat really matters to me.
---
HMJACK707
#2wildog2006Posted 10/3/2013 9:46:24 AM
why not both?
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
#3AsucaHayashiPosted 10/3/2013 9:47:40 AM
I would love to have a system that lets me play PC games that I can easyly cart around from place to place.

steambox is it then.

and is cheaper than building a gaming PC iswhat really matters to me.

not gonna happen since it's a prebuilt after all... though it's always a plus that you can upgrade it down the line.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#4Ch3wyPosted 10/3/2013 9:49:41 AM
I'll bet you tree fiddy that there are going to be Steam Machines cheaper than building your own.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#5fataliPosted 10/3/2013 9:50:43 AM
A steambox with the same specs of a windows PC will always be cheaper, since you don't have to buy the OS.

Unless... you know...
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#6MangorushXIIIPosted 10/3/2013 9:51:32 AM
HMJIM707 posted...
I have been planing on getting one of my friends to help me build a gaming PC within the next six (6) months or so. I was looking to drop about a max of $900 or so.

I have alway been a fan of plug and play systems. Last gen I had a Wii for a bit and a PS4 as my main systems of choice.

I was planning on skipping this gen and just building the PC and going steam. Then i heard about the steambox. I dont know much about it. I cant find much info about it either.

The question I ask you guys is it really worth it over a gaming PC? I would love to have a system that lets me play PC games that I can easyly cart around from place to place.

I dont care too much about graphics so its ok if its underpowered. As long as its easy to play on my tv and will play PC games and is cheaper than building a gaming PC iswhat really matters to me.

http://youtu.be/3KgHWRCOyG0?t=10s
#7MasterDonGeroPosted 10/3/2013 10:01:20 AM
Too much is unknown to make an informed decision.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#8Binba442Posted 10/3/2013 10:02:13 AM
Wait. That's the only way. You can go without for a couple of months, right? Pick up a 3DS and game there for a while.
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#9ThunderPotatoPosted 10/3/2013 10:23:12 AM
You can build small form PCs too you know.
---
PC is a Console Hardware game, published by Microsoft, which was released in 1995.
#10HMJIM707(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2013 10:36:01 AM
Whats a small form PC? Just smaller? If so im assuming that increases price which is a turn off for me. Sorry if thats not what it is. Im a PC gaming noob. I had a macbook the past 10 years.
---
HMJACK707