This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Never played the original painkiller but always wanted to is Hell and Danger ok?

#1DetectivPenguinPosted 10/3/2013 11:42:09 AM
80/80 ok for me that is? As someone whose never played the game I've heard this edition is like a remake as well as a sequel or something? Can anyone shed some light on this. Is this fine for someone who has never played painkiller before. I ask because it's in todays bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
---
Interested in finance and the stock market?Want to have a gamefaqs board on it? Sign my site petition here:
www.gamefaqs.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/66852152
#2JavelinPosted 10/3/2013 11:50:17 AM
I loved Painkiller, but I grew up playing Doom and Quake. If you're not into old-school shooters, this might not be the game for you. Personally, I think the original is better than Hell and Damnation, because the remake cuts out some of the best levels (particularly the final one, which was very memorable).
---
MSI Z77A-GD55 | Intel Core i7-3770K | Kingston HyperX 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
#3DetectivPenguin(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2013 11:56:11 AM
Javelin posted...
I loved Painkiller, but I grew up playing Doom and Quake. If you're not into old-school shooters, this might not be the game for you. Personally, I think the original is better than Hell and Damnation, because the remake cuts out some of the best levels (particularly the final one, which was very memorable).

Really that's kind of strange did they give any reason why they cut stuff? And i'll be honest I never played doom or quake games growing up but I played the serious sam games and have been told it plays a lot like those which I absolutely loved.
---
Interested in finance and the stock market?Want to have a gamefaqs board on it? Sign my site petition here:
#4ShubPosted 10/3/2013 11:58:29 AM
The Painkiller games that are not the first one to come out (currently available as Painkiller Black Edition) are all varying degrees of suck. I certainly wouldn't pay Humble Bundle the $6 just for Painkiller Hell & Damnation.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5jake-sfPosted 10/3/2013 12:25:35 PM(edited)
Javelin posted...

You know, I wish people would stop putting things like Doom & Quake in the same basket as Painkiller. Painkiller is in the same categories as Serious Sam, which isn't an old school shooter. Its just an arena based murder fest.

Not saying its bad, just saying I find both types to be completely and utterly different.

You liked Serious Sam? You'll like Painkiller. I preferred Serious Sam though, mainly because it had coop, and it also had better design monsters-level wise. Painkiller has more variety, though. Like they said though, just get the first one + its first expansion. Don't touch the rest.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#6wizardmonPosted 10/3/2013 12:26:33 PM
Don't bother with anything other than the black edition.

The black edition goes on sale quite often for dirt cheap, so keep an eye out on steam.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#7thatauthorPosted 10/3/2013 2:00:38 PM
Painkiller: black edition is good. Painkkiller: Overdose is playable. it might not be perfect, but you should be able to play through the game. Painkiller: Resurrection. is a steaming pile of s***. I don't mind playing "bad" games as long as they're playable. if they're half way decent(like Transcripted and NightSky) I'll even like them. Resurrection sadly does not fit in the playable category. bad things about it: It has hallways that are too dark to see in unless you use gunfire to light them, stairwells that are small enough that if you move like 5 degrees or less in the wrong direction(compared to upwards of 45-90 for most stairwells in games), you'll fall, glitches that stop you from either beating or even starting levels(in one case, multiple times), recycled weapons and apparently levels were modeled after MP levels in an older game. it basically plays like a badly made mod. I haven't played Painkiller: Redemption, but apparently it's just as bad. the demo for the new game seemed decent enough.
---
I have to browse like a peasant ~ pizzaman95
#8DetectivPenguin(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2013 7:54:34 PM
bump
---