This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What does "AAA" mean and how can I tell if a game is "AAA" or "AA"?

#21DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/5/2013 12:04:55 AM
Panopictonguy posted...
Triple A is synonymous with big budget or high production value.

If you see the trailer for the game in a Movie Theater (Gears Of War) with popular licenced music playing. It's probably a Triple A.

If you only see ads for it on gaming sites and it's been in production for a year or less it's probably a B(udget) Title.

And then there's everything in between.

TBH, if you see ads for it at all, it's probably at least a AA title.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#22AsucaHayashiPosted 10/5/2013 12:29:30 AM
AAA means the amount of buttons needed to play the entire game from start to finish aside from directional input.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#23TheWayOfTheGunPosted 10/5/2013 9:44:49 AM
It refers to only the production value.

Good Marketing is just a result of a high production value so it doesn't even need to be mentioned. It's common sense.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#24BludFalkonPosted 10/5/2013 9:49:25 AM
Samething as in the stock market, many firms get rated "AAA" and lower from ratings firms such as Standard & Poors (S&P). Many firms just "buy" their rating aka secretive bribery.
#25LostHisHardcorePosted 10/5/2013 10:10:52 AM
AAA to me is high production values and high cost to develop. The odd part is most AAA games are games that have gained a huge following and are mostly sequels and because of that you don't often see new game franchises, risks and all. Although ubisoft seem to be challenging that
---
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate!"
"I'm you, I'm your shadow!"
#26XNo_FearXPosted 10/5/2013 10:17:20 AM
CourtofOwls posted...
budget + hype (events,advertising) + reviewer payoffs = AAA
see the trick is to brainwash people into thinking it's good regardless of actual quality
wonderful example on the ps3 this year with the last of us which really isn't that good but it got all the hype and reviews and the such,yet that far superior puppet show game that i can't even remember the name of isn't promoted at all

someones jealous its not for pc lol
---
PSN ID: Ctx_Ghost
Asus Laptop | Gtx 680M | i5 @3.2GHz | 8gb Ram | 750 HD | W8
#27MagnemightPosted 10/5/2013 10:53:26 AM
Sc24life posted...
However, if we're defining known as everyone and their grandma knows of it, then no Minecraft isn't known.

...Ehm...I'd say that both Minecraft and Call of Duty are essentially household names at this point. Minecraft's popular enough on the internet for the real world to notice, and plenty of people everywhere refer to Call of Duty when discussing their leisure time.

of course, Minecraft isn't AAA, whereas CoD is
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against the Shy Guys!
Download the demo (offsite): http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=29243
#28KaiRyusakiPosted 10/5/2013 11:11:14 AM
AAA means they spent more money on marketing than production.
#29KalkanoPosted 10/8/2013 1:55:18 PM
"AA" games no longer exist. Every game is either a "AAA" shooter/action game, or indie/shovelware of any genre.
---
Re-playing: Shining Force 3: Scenario 3 (in English), Final Fantasy 7 (PC, Modded)
Playing for the first time: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Phantasy Star 3