This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

X-COM Complete Pack worth getting?

#11kelemvorPosted 10/3/2013 8:22:57 PM
Boge posted...
I wish they made more games like this. The new Xcom isn't the same as the older squad based tactical games like Jagged Alliance and Silent Storm. I never played the old Xcom. I own it, but it's so old that the mouse control sucks, and I can't tell what I'm looking at on the screen.

From what I understand, and I might be wrong (since I don't have one), but the genre pretty much only lives on handhelds like PSP and 3DS.

Fire Emblem even moved to portables. Too bad, too. A Fire Emblem game on Steam would make Nintendo millions, but they don't care. They would rather go bankrupt than ruin the purity of their exclusives.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#12GarhinderPosted 10/3/2013 9:12:33 PM
kelemvor posted...
Boge posted...
I wish they made more games like this. The new Xcom isn't the same as the older squad based tactical games like Jagged Alliance and Silent Storm. I never played the old Xcom. I own it, but it's so old that the mouse control sucks, and I can't tell what I'm looking at on the screen.

From what I understand, and I might be wrong (since I don't have one), but the genre pretty much only lives on handhelds like PSP and 3DS.

Fire Emblem even moved to portables. Too bad, too. A Fire Emblem game on Steam would make Nintendo millions, but they don't care. They would rather go bankrupt than ruin the purity of their exclusives.

I have a raging boner for Fire Emblem. I loved the GBA, GameCube, and Wii games. I'm getting a 3DS next year, and Fire Emblem is one of the reasons.

But really, going bankrupt? Nintendo? Hahahaha! Sure thing, buddy. They will also make Mario games for iOS and Android, and maybe a brown-gray, "mature", and gritty, Zelda game for the PC.
#13EgdracilPosted 10/3/2013 9:15:05 PM
heres the best deal:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ECHYTKY/

You get the true complete set, all the old games and the new one all for ten dollars
---
http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/dwm2gbc/monster/egdracil.png
#14EgdracilPosted 10/3/2013 9:20:00 PM
^except the bureau, but apparently that one sucked
---
http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/dwm2gbc/monster/egdracil.png
#15BogePosted 10/4/2013 5:01:08 PM
kelemvor posted...
Boge posted...

Those aren't the same. Jagged Alliance and Shining Force are both amazing games and a couple of the greatest I've ever placed. But Jagged Alliance is so much deeper. They really are so different that they need different titles for their genres.

I'd define them as Squad based tactical strategy (Jagged Alliance, Silent Storm), and Strategy RPGs (Fire Emblem, Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics).

The new Xcom kind of merges both, but I still feel it leans on the "console" side more because it's missing so many features of the old school PC squad based tactical games. (action point spending for accuracy and movement, aiming at specific body parts, crouch, prone, equipment swap during combat, the interrupts that are much more versatile than Overwatch, etc.) I could make a page of missing features, but I won't bother. Anyone that's played both already knows.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#16MMaestroPosted 10/4/2013 5:14:43 PM
Shub posted...
ShadowThaReaper posted...
The original game is the only one you need. All of the other ones suck.

No, TFTD is great, too... it's just identical to the first one, except underwater, and harder.

And unbalanced as hell.

TFTD was borderline impossible to win if you didn't mod it. You literally did zero damage with the standard human pistols and rifles against over half the enemies because they had too much armor and armor didn't change based on the difficulty.