This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mighty No. 9 is an example of how it should work in the industry.

#21HydroCannabinolPosted 10/3/2013 6:21:37 PM
Explain.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#22akuma634Posted 10/3/2013 7:27:13 PM
Lemur_H posted...
Yea. Pay for games before the product has been completed.

Nobody is forcing you do so. Take off the tinfoil fedora. The point is publishers are mostly interested in high budget AAA titles and aren't that excited about the prospects of low budget digital titles that sell for under $20. They want to invest tens of millions of dollars into games with near Hollywood level production values for the gamble of making several times their investment back in profit. Videogames are a business, nobody becomes a publisher to make friends, they get in the business to make money.

Crowd funding is a quite a step up for indie development, it retains the be your own boss system but you actually have a budget to work with. With some knowledge of computers, and game design along with a lot of free time as well as a modest sum of money, one person can make a cool 8 or 16 bit throwback game. To make something more ambitious requires a team and good funding. Game development is still risky and it's hard to say what the game will be like until it's playable, the same for movies, you can look at raw footage but until it's finished post production you can't be sure if it's good or not.

The whole point is when there's a cool idea for a game but no publisher is interested, the fans can pledge however much they feel comfortable with, typically 15-20 dollars gets you a DRM free and a Steam copy of the game. It's really not a big loss. Another thing to consider is that you don't even need to pledge to the project, if it's a success then you can always buy it when it comes out because these are indie games so it can take a couple years before you have a playable build. The advantage is that you're kept up to date on the progress of the game and you get to give your opinions on the development. For example a month or two ago the creators of Space Quest put up a backer early alpha demo of their new game Ace Hardway and it was there give backers an idea of what to expect and to ask them what they can do to make the game better. If you don't care about the progress of the game or suggesting ideas to improve it, then you can still just buy it upon release. At the end of the day there is no great risk, at the worst it was $20 bucks.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#23akuma634Posted 10/3/2013 7:31:20 PM
Spacewhizguy posted...
It works for small games like that. It'd fail for bigger games.

It wouldn't even be possible for bigger games. What are the biggest numbers we've seen? Star Citizen after Kickstarter has raised 19 million dollars in crowd funding, such as Paypal preorders. That's a freak thing. Some games raised 3-7 million dollars on Kickstarter. That's huge for indie gaming but if somebody said, "Let's crowd fund the spiritual successor of God Of War" and "we only need to raise 44 million dollars in 30 days," It would never get that kind of money. At best we'd get a 16 bit God Of War inspired side scroller.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#24SpacewhizguyPosted 10/3/2013 7:40:27 PM(edited)
Greendragon854 posted...
Spacewhizguy posted...

Star Citizen beckons

Lol at thinking $20 million over the course of an entire year is enough for modern AAA games.
---
What's a sig?
#25Pale HorsemanPosted 10/3/2013 7:42:07 PM
Zohar_Metatron posted...
I'm hoping MN9 gets some attention over in Japan, at least. I'd love to see Cave Kickstart some stuff, or Kojima to host a "hello I'm Hideo Kojima and I want to make a game that isn't ****ing Metal Gear" campaign.

60fps posted...
Mighty No.9 Looks great, but if he tried to get this done with Capcom and they rejected it, but they approved things like the Duck Tales remake, the Strider remake, and even promoted the Street Fighter X Mega Man game I get the feeling that there's something not that great about Mighty No.9.

He didn't-if you're referring to the game in the pitch video he mentions getting canceled, that was Mega Man Universe. Which looked a little iffy, to be fair.

But nah, there's at least one exec at Capcom who just actively disliked him. He actually had to lie to them about how far into development Dead Rising and Lost Planet were before they actually gave him the money to finish making the games.

Can you please link me to this story? It would be interesting to read.
---
BreadGolem: We never killed Native Americans, they got sick!
#26JudgmenlPosted 10/3/2013 7:43:00 PM
akuma634 posted...
Spacewhizguy posted...

It wouldn't even be possible for bigger games. What are the biggest numbers we've seen? Star Citizen after Kickstarter has raised 19 million dollars in crowd funding, such as Paypal preorders. That's a freak thing. Some games raised 3-7 million dollars on Kickstarter. That's huge for indie gaming but if somebody said, "Let's crowd fund the spiritual successor of God Of War" and "we only need to raise 44 million dollars in 30 days," It would never get that kind of money. At best we'd get a 16 bit God Of War inspired side scroller.

Has a lot to do with how much a community wants a specific game. There's a lot of hate out there for Capcom and how they treated Rockman, especially with the later titles (EXE Series) in the west. Rockman was Capcom's mascot for 25 years. Why did they drop it? It's not Monster Hunter, Street Fighter or whatever BS modern stuff with guns they like to put out and push DLC every other month.

Mighty No. 9 was a push for what gaming was, and not what gaming is. This was probably the case in Japan as well.
---
`1337_FF_GoD` - Popularity =/= Quality.
http://puu.sh/4AoGC.png - Opinions =/= Truth.
#27GoldninjaPosted 10/3/2013 8:54:10 PM
Some people do pay before release, but they usually only do it for games they would end up buying on release anyway. I would buy Mighty No.9 right now if it released. Instead, I'll just buy it before hand and help the devs make it even better. Obviously, I'm only going to do it for games I have genuine interest in, such as this one.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
http://tinyurl.com/ptxe9sf - River City Ransom Underground Kickstarter!
#28jake-sfPosted 10/3/2013 10:11:40 PM
akuma634 posted...
Spacewhizguy posted...

I guess in this day and age you can't make a game without 44 millions because the masses will spit on it. If we just lowered our standards, we wouldn't need such ludicrous amount of money to make a good 3D game in the first place.

I blame the **** out of everyone for the state of the industry.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/