This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Online DRM

#11FenriswolfPosted 10/4/2013 5:24:29 AM
steveboblarry posted...
Jon_God posted...
Here is a company that made a sequel one of their flagship series from the 90s, a single player game, and added online DRM.

Not only this, but they developed their own digital store trying get people to buy digitally, and no matter what, have to play their own games through their store and network, which no one wanted.

They also have slowly moved their focus from single player games which made them famous in the first place, to freemium games, and multiplayer focused games.

As a company the've continually to not respond to fan requests to bring back their old series.

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you Valve.

Without Valve pc gaming would not be the powerhouse it is now.

It's easy to become a "powerhouse" when you have a monopoly on DRM, and companies simply slap it on the latest console ports. Before Steam, publishers actually made sure that their games are made for PC first, providing dedicated servers and mod tools standard.
---
Hello
#12steveboblarryPosted 10/4/2013 5:25:15 AM
Fenriswolf posted...
steveboblarry posted...
Jon_God posted...
Here is a company that made a sequel one of their flagship series from the 90s, a single player game, and added online DRM.

Not only this, but they developed their own digital store trying get people to buy digitally, and no matter what, have to play their own games through their store and network, which no one wanted.

They also have slowly moved their focus from single player games which made them famous in the first place, to freemium games, and multiplayer focused games.

As a company the've continually to not respond to fan requests to bring back their old series.

It's easy to become a "powerhouse" when you have a monopoly on DRM, and companies simply slap it on the latest console ports. Before Steam, publishers actually made sure that their games are made for PC first, providing dedicated servers and mod tools standard.

Fenris just stop with your trollish ass
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#13reincarnator07Posted 10/4/2013 6:22:36 AM
Fenriswolf posted...
steveboblarry posted...
Jon_God posted...

Funny, I've purchased far more games through sites like GMG, GoG, Humble Bundle and Gamefly over the last year or 2 than I have through Steam. Before Steam, consoles and PCs had very different libraries. This last gen, many publishers jumped over to consoles purely to expand their market. Steam had little to do with it.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#14steveboblarryPosted 10/4/2013 6:31:47 AM
reincarnator07 posted...
Fenriswolf posted...
steveboblarry posted...
Jon_God posted...

Funny, I've purchased far more games through sites like GMG, GoG, Humble Bundle and Gamefly over the last year or 2 than I have through Steam. Before Steam, consoles and PCs had very different libraries. This last gen, many publishers jumped over to consoles purely to expand their market. Steam had little to do with it.

Steam did help PC Gaming exponentially
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#15johnny_payPosted 10/4/2013 7:02:30 AM
steveboblarry posted...

steam has helped and hindered pc gaming. while pc gaming has become popular with help from steam. valve's success has driven other companies to create crappy 3rd party programs. as a gamer i dont want to have to have any 3rd party programs running to play my game, whether it be steam, origin, uplay or gfw,. sadly this trend is only gonna grow.
#16steveboblarryPosted 10/4/2013 8:10:22 AM
johnny_pay posted...
steveboblarry posted...

steam has helped and hindered pc gaming. while pc gaming has become popular with help from steam. valve's success has driven other companies to create crappy 3rd party programs. as a gamer i dont want to have to have any 3rd party programs running to play my game, whether it be steam, origin, uplay or gfw,. sadly this trend is only gonna grow.

I agree I guess its one of the negative consequences because of steam, companies like EA, Uplay think they can do a better job
---