This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you buy physical for PC anymore?

#21BigB0ss13Posted 10/3/2013 11:58:35 PM
For new games that I got on release date or within a couple months in the past or in the future with BF4, GTA5 on PC, etc. I buy physical if they're big download size. But with old games, even if they have big download size, I'd have no choice but to download them because they are either super cheap and or they don't sell physical discs any more.
#22InterfusorPosted 10/4/2013 12:58:29 AM
Yeah sometimes, but they often activate on Steam anyway.

RE6, RE:Rev, BLOPS.
---
I am not economically viable.
#23reincarnator07Posted 10/4/2013 2:44:41 AM
I volunteer at a charity shop and every now and then we get some old (15 + years) PC games that I get on the cheap. Apart from that, no.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#24SlaynPosted 10/4/2013 2:48:30 AM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
When neither are on sale, physical copies are often cheaper than digital copies, so I'd buy one then (if I didn't mind waiting a few days to play it).
examples:
* I bought the Fallout Collection (1+2+Tactics) for a penny on Amazon. Twice. Even with shipping and handling, it was still very cheap.
* Not too long after Skyrim came out, the physical copy on Amazon went on sale for $30. I think digital was still $50. It also included the map and the case, obviously.
* I bought Call of Pripyat for $10 on Amazon back in 2011. The physical copies of the other games were also cheaper, I think.
* Just today, I looked up The Saboteur. It's cheaper to buy a physical copy.

Also, for certain games that I really want, I might pre-order a physical copy. Box art, manuals, and maps can be nice bonuses, too. Collector's/Limited/Pre-order Editions are even better.

I think digital distribution is definitely becoming more prominent, but sometimes I just like to get a physical copy, if only for novelty.

You are comparing physical sale prices to regular download prices, except for the penny game, which isn't really something that comes around often... ( ever )
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#25maybecallsPosted 10/4/2013 2:56:00 AM
No, I'm finished with all that. I don't visit high street game retailers any more, or even bother checking their prices on Amazon etc. Apart from one Humble Bundle, everything I've bought this year has been from Steam.
#26MasterDonGeroPosted 10/4/2013 3:48:16 AM
The only 2 PC games I ever bought were AC 1&2 bundled, for $10. I've played 20 minutes of AC1. :/

Well, my uncle bought me Alpha Centauri back in the day, because he's been a PC gamer for a while. I thought I'd hate it, but I love it.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#27TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 10/4/2013 3:55:26 AM
Slayn posted...
You are comparing physical sale prices to regular download prices, except for the penny game, which isn't really something that comes around often... ( ever )

I only did that for one game, but what's wrong with this? If a physical copy is on sale and the digital copy is not, the physical copy is still a better deal (unless you can't stand waiting for it to arrive). It even comes with some extras.

I just looked up the Fallout Collection on Amazon again. It's not $0.01 anymore, but even with its current price (including shipping) it's still cheaper than buying just one of the games on Steam.

Call of Pripyat is also still <$10.00 on Amazon.

The Saboteur is $9.99 on Amazon. About $6 cheaper than their digital listing and $10 cheaper than Origin's.

I also forgot to mention BioShock 2. That game has been listed as like <$5 (<$8 with shipping) for at least 2 years.

A lot of items on Amazon are given a high "list price", which is almost always crossed out. Instead, the real price is put right beneath the list price. That doesn't mean those items are on temporary sales, though. I bought my copies of the Fallout Collection for a penny about two years apart. Call of Pripyat has been under ten dollars for a long time, too. BioShock 2 has also been under five dollars for a long time.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#28codyorrPosted 10/4/2013 3:57:57 AM
I only buy physical unless it's a very small download. I live in the country and don't have access to cable or DSL. It's either 56K or Satellite. I would buy digital but I just can't.
#29SlaynPosted 10/4/2013 4:11:51 AM
Ok. If you think physical copies are cheaper because you found a game for a penny and you are comparing normal price digital downloads to either sales or bargain bin 10 year old games on Amazon. OK.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#30Orestes417Posted 10/4/2013 4:12:48 AM
If it's cheaper or a special edition I want, yeah.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.