This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you buy physical for PC anymore?

#61CC RicersPosted 10/4/2013 8:00:35 AM
I'd like to buy physical if cheap enough, but Steam makes it easy not to. I like to organize my collection from Steam. If you buy physical they don't always integrate into Steam and you'll just have a shortcut. Steam should just get its full library of games to be compatible with the keys that are found in the physical boxes.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#62r0ge00Posted 10/4/2013 8:02:21 AM
Rayder posted...
I have already heard about some games no longer being available on Steam, so if you paid for those games and have since uninstalled them, you are just screwed out of the money you have paid for them if you might have wanted to re-install them again.. This only strengthens my position against digital distribution. I have games I bought (on a disk) decades ago that I can still install and play to this day. I value that ability greatly. So much so that I stand firm against digital distribution and will NOT buy "just a download" for as long as I can possibly get away with.

Any of those games are still available to download. You just can't buy them anymore. You can also back up your Steam games on a HDD if you desire.
#63NicodaemosPosted 10/4/2013 8:06:44 AM
Only for collector's editions. The first of which will be Dark Souls 2, heh.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#64ShadowjomiPosted 10/4/2013 8:11:40 AM
Recently bought physical copy of FFXIV ARR and pre-ordered Steins;Gate, so yeah but only games I like having on my shelf and the price is almost the same.
#65atopp399Posted 10/4/2013 8:23:17 AM(edited)
Sometimes but rarely. I actually don't buy a ton of PC games anymore other than the rare game off Steam. I refuse to install any other launcher like Origin so it kind of limits what games I actually buy on PC.
#66xanthan1Posted 10/4/2013 8:24:52 AM
Only if it has something that the digital one doesn't and I wasn't planning on waiting for a sale.

You know, like maps and such.
#67CardigansFanPosted 10/4/2013 8:26:15 AM(edited)
Nicodimus posted...
My point is, suppose he loves the disc games he already has? Is he supposed to get rid of them anyway?

I don't see why not, if he can re-purchase them digitally and have them infinitely more convenient. *shrugs*

r0ge00 posted...
Any of those games are still available to download. You just can't buy them anymore. You can also back up your Steam games on a HDD if you desire.

And this. I bought Prey before the keys ran out. Never had issues re-downloading it.
---
3570k | GTX670 FTW | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD
Xperia Z Ultra 16GB Black * Sharp Actius MM20 * Samsung NX20 * AKA Magus77
#68SinisterSlayPosted 10/4/2013 8:25:59 AM
No one sells physical PC games around here anymore. And they stopped doing so back in 2003, long before Steam was anything.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#69NicodimusPosted 10/4/2013 8:30:19 AM
CardigansFan posted...
Nicodimus posted...
My point is, suppose he loves the disc games he already has? Is he supposed to get rid of them anyway?

I don't see why not, if he can re-purchase them digitally and have them infinitely more convenient. *shrugs*

Buying a game twice is not very smart in my book, let alone buying many games twice.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#70UltralabratPosted 10/4/2013 8:34:25 AM
Always buy the physical, since my internet sucks. Takes forever to download patches, never mind full games. I'll be screwed if games ever go to DD only.
---
If it weren't for the gutter, my mind would be homeless.