This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you buy physical for PC anymore?

#81CardigansFanPosted 10/4/2013 10:47:08 AM
Nicodimus posted...
Consider also that digital games are not allowed to be downloaded infinite times on new PCs. If you have the discs, you never have to worry about that. (This is true of games that were actually on the disc and didn't require any downloads, of course.)

Um...so then un-register the PC it was registered on? Problem solved. I haven't even encountered games with less than a 3-PC limit, which seems reasonable to me. I'd easily take that inconvenience over the much bigger one of having to deal with physical discs.
---
3570k | GTX670 FTW | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD
Xperia Z Ultra 16GB Black * Sharp Actius MM20 * Samsung NX20 * AKA Magus77
#82SinisterSlayPosted 10/4/2013 10:49:40 AM
CardigansFan posted...
Nicodimus posted...
Consider also that digital games are not allowed to be downloaded infinite times on new PCs. If you have the discs, you never have to worry about that. (This is true of games that were actually on the disc and didn't require any downloads, of course.)

Um...so then un-register the PC it was registered on? Problem solved. I haven't even encountered games with less than a 3-PC limit, which seems reasonable to me. I'd easily take that inconvenience over the much bigger one of having to deal with physical discs.

What service has a limited number of digital PC installs now?
Far as I know, Origin, Steam, Gog, all allow you to install as many times as you want on as many PC's as you want.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#83NicodimusPosted 10/4/2013 10:51:48 AM
CardigansFan posted...
Nicodimus posted...

I've never seen a way to un-register a digital game, and I am not rebuying a game simply because I bought new hardware.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#84xanthan1Posted 10/4/2013 10:54:56 AM
Nicodimus posted...
CardigansFan posted...
Nicodimus posted...

I've never seen a way to un-register a digital game, and I am not rebuying a game simply because I bought new hardware.

You haven't looked hard enough. Or at all. Either way you don't know what you're talking about right now. At all.
#85CardigansFanPosted 10/4/2013 11:01:45 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
What service has a limited number of digital PC installs now?
Far as I know, Origin, Steam, Gog, all allow you to install as many times as you want on as many PC's as you want.

IIRC there was something stupid with Crysis where you couldn't install it on more than five PC's - and the solution was as simple as contacting EA live support to have them extend the install limit (to 15 PC's). Not sure if they ever got rid of that. But yes, you're right that most places don't have any limits like that.

xanthan1 posted...
Nicodimus posted...

You haven't looked hard enough. Or at all. Either way you don't know what you're talking about right now. At all.

Seriously...do you have a personal beef with me or something? Seems like you're just trying to argue for the sake of it or something. I haven't heard of being unable to install a game legally/officially, even with install limits, after having contacted the game key supplier or the store the game was purchased from...I mean, just Google the Crysis five-limit issue I mentioned above - plenty of people commenting how to solve it rather quickly and painlessly.
---
3570k | GTX670 FTW | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD
Xperia Z Ultra 16GB Black * Sharp Actius MM20 * Samsung NX20 * AKA Magus77
#86XiebornPosted 10/4/2013 11:04:51 AM
I try to buy physical media for any pc games that may come out so I don't have to download so much, especially if they're big sized games. Just pre-ordered Borderlands 2 GOTY from newegg.com, hoping there's no much that I'd have to download from it.

It really sucks being stuck on sattlite internet, only other option's dialup. >_<
---
Win8 64bit, Intel Core i5 4670k, 8gb ddr3 1600, MSI Z87 Gaming, MSI TF GeForce GTX 660
#87GriffinHeartPosted 10/4/2013 11:08:45 AM
There is just no reason for me anymore. And the only reason before was that it was the only thing I could do.

So, no. Unless I find a great bargain by chance while shopping.
---
Specs for the inevitable tech support topics: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Intel Core i5-3450 3.1 GHz, RAM 8 GB, GeForce GT530 2 GB.
#88Hicks233Posted 10/4/2013 11:30:23 AM
Absolutely. I like to collect older titles and appreciate having a physical version that isn't infected with Steamworks drm where possible. Of course there are unfortunately many publishers now with their tongue firmly up Valve's arse.

If I'm going to buy a digital version of a title then it's going to need to be a store like gog or psn.

While I could go on the basis of waiting for a sale where there's no guarantee of the item I actually want being included and still being shackled to a drm platform I could instead pay a reasonable if still low price and get a physical copy via Amazon UK. Feel less of a cheapskate and have a solid product that I can hold.

The more steam spreads its grubby mits the more I play older pc games and spend more time and money on consoles.
---
http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=9458
Sheep are propper dumb, they run away when you go to stroke em
#89ZkkPosted 10/4/2013 11:55:24 AM(edited)
Nah. Everything that comes out on steam is so much cheaper online. I know this great place that sells steam codes for (way) less than their actual price due to the happy fact that they're based in Poland or something. And then there's GOG and other such sites.

Well, I did buy a physical copy of Diablo 3, but only because I had a gift card to a store, and bought one for me and my friend. Normally I'd never do that. It's more expensive and less practical, so why bother.

I still have a huge collection of older games on discs though. Even some good ol' floppies that I can't even use anymore. But I'm not adding to that number unless I have a very very good reason.
#90Dark_SpiretPosted 10/4/2013 12:12:51 PM
nowadays it depends on how large the game is. if its 20+ gb's then ill probably look for a physical copy just cause my internet isnt amazing.
---
Currently playing: Grand Theft Auto 5 - Shadow Warrior(2013) - State of Decay