The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it worth increasing the voltage?

#1son_gogettoPosted 10/4/2013 5:03:49 AM
So I have an XFX 2GB 7850, and I've used CCC to overclock the core and memory clocks from 860+1200MHzz to 1050+1400MHz without touching the voltages. Now while it has provided a nice improvement without really having to do anything to it (literally just slid the slider bars to the end, and put the power control to 20%) it's starting to show it's age again. BF4, I know is unoptimized at the moment, but I doubt I'll be pulling 60fps on ultra when it does come out, and I'm currently getting ~40fps on ultra. Also, after seeing the 'supposed' requirements for Watchdogs I know my card won't be running the games at their best anymore.

So anyway, will it be worth unlocking the voltage and pushing the clocks higher? I understand there is a risk in doing so, but I'm just curious how big that risk is, and if the improvements I get will be worth it? If we're talking a couple of frames then I'll probably pass.
---
(GT: II Lazer II) - (PSN: ME GOOSTA) - (Steam ID: lilylazer666)
(3DS FC: 4339-3035-7150)
#2kingkeith9Posted 10/4/2013 6:15:04 AM
Yes it would a little. 7850's scale amazingly but it will start getting hotter and you will have to use something other than CCC i.e. msi afterburner. If you do feel like upgrading I would recommend getting another 7850 and using crossfire as I have that currently and it gives performance similar to 780's or titans.

The 13.8 or 13.9 beta drivers have resolved most of the problems that were associated with crossfire such as micro stutter.
#3son_gogetto(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 8:37:12 AM
Thanks for the reply. I did consider Crossfire, but I'd heard the microstutter was pretty bad. Glad to hear the recent driver updates have fixed that. Could you explain what exactly happens with microstutter btw? Like, is it really that bad?
I think I'll up the voltage for now then, and perhaps add another card down the line. What would you recommend in terms of cooling? Should I just push the fan speed up a bit more?
---
#4DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/4/2013 9:02:07 AM
son_gogetto posted...
Could you explain what exactly happens with microstutter btw? Like, is it really that bad?

---------------------TIME--------------------------->

No MS | = 1 frame
|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|

MS
|--|-|----|-|---|-|--|---|--|-|--|--|---|--||---|--|--|--|--|-|-

Same amount of frames but the times in which they are drawn are not even at all. This can result in dropped frames and 'runt' frames where only half of one frame is rendered and the second half is actually the next frame altogether.

Basically microstutter can make 60 frames per second feel like less than that (~45ish?). It is something that happens on all cards with all vendors but to varying degrees. In the past AMD was much worse but they've come close to matching nvidia as of late. I'd still give the advantage to team green especially in SLI configurations but its not as big a difference as it was in the past.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#5son_gogetto(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 9:09:27 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
son_gogetto posted...
Could you explain what exactly happens with microstutter btw? Like, is it really that bad?

---------------------TIME--------------------------->

No MS | = 1 frame
|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|

MS
|--|-|----|-|---|-|--|---|--|-|--|--|---|--||---|--|--|--|--|-|-

Same amount of frames but the times in which they are drawn are not even at all. This can result in dropped frames and 'runt' frames where only half of one frame is rendered and the second half is actually the next frame altogether.

Basically microstutter can make 60 frames per second feel like less than that (~45ish?). It is something that happens on all cards with all vendors but to varying degrees. In the past AMD was much worse but they've come close to matching nvidia as of late. I'd still give the advantage to team green especially in SLI configurations but its not as big a difference as it was in the past.

Excellent way of showing it dude, thanks for that. Yeah that seems pretty annoying, so it's essentially a constantly changing frame rate? (visually anyway). Yeah I've heard Nvidia is generally the better way to go for multi gpu setups. I guess I'll see how things are in the near future. I really want to stay with AMD after watching their stream a couple of weeks back. That Mantle tech looks like they'll be getting much better optimisation from their cards, and will mean even more bang for your buck by going with AMD.

Quickly going back to overclocking. Are there are golden do's/dont's when unlocking the voltage? Like, are there any strict parameters to stay within, or set amounts to go up by? I've read up a bit about it, but I'm just seeing if anyone has a similar card to mine, or could explain certain aspects a bit more in depth.
---
#6BowsaaPosted 10/4/2013 9:11:43 AM
I'm interested as well.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000