This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New study shows pirating is not hurting entertainment industry

#1Spidey555Posted 10/4/2013 6:07:22 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/new-study-says-online-piracy-isn%E2%80%99t-hurting-entertainment-industry-220006729.html
---
360 GT: FiendishFiend
Steam: Spidey555
#2_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/4/2013 6:55:36 AM(edited)
There is nothing in that piece of text that even remotely suggests that piracy does not have a negative effect on the entertainment industry.

I am not saying it does or does not. I do not know.

However, a line like
"TorrentFreak says that independent data actually suggests that those who pirate content are also more likely to spend their money on film, music and gaming content."
means nothing. What can you learn from that? That those who pirate spend more money on film and music. But is that because they pirate? Or are they people that consume a lot of film and music and therefore also pirate in addition to their purchases. Does it not sound reasonable that someone who loves movies and watches a lot of movies both downloads and purchases more movies on average than someone who does not?

"nearly half of all U.S. Internet users pirate copyrighted material, nearly half of those individuals say they would willingly pay a monthly fee for unlimited access to multimedia content.".
So would that not suggest that if pirated content was not available they would actually pay for the things they are downloading and watching/listening to now provided there would be a useable alternative? Also, when it comes to these kind of questions where there is a very clear morally correct answer, there will always be a difference between stated behavior and actual behavior. I have not read the study, but if they present this as some kind of accurate objective measure of what people would actually do, it must be really terrible.

Real crap story.

Though I agree ( if I read between the crap lines correctly) that embracing people's desire to download content wherever and whenever on any device they want, is a lot better than trying to keep them from doing so. One thing that is essential is that people are no longer paying for the product. The product is "free" in some ways. But we have seen, with Steam for example but also Spotify and others, that people are willing to pay if the service is superior. What the entertainment industry is suffering from is that people can illegally download anything in HD and watch it on anything. There are no legal options that provides the same kind of flexibility and "service". This makes the actual official product you buy inferior in some ways. In that kind of scenario you are asking a lot from people to keep buying your product. One example used to be American series in Holland. Sure, I want to watch these great series, and personally I did watch (or record) them on TV. But you are also asking me to wait for months after episodes are released in the US, and only give me the option to watch it on my TV. I have to be really disciplined to purchase your product the way you want me to.It is not even about money.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#3FeatherwindPosted 10/4/2013 7:02:57 AM(edited)
There seem to be tons of bad answers to the question "Does piracy hurt the entertainment industry?" circulating. Just by looking at the question it's obvious there is no easy answer yet as there seems to be political benefits in trying to answer it all manner of BS gets made up.

_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
Also, when it comes to these kind of questions where there is a very clear morally correct answer, there will always be a difference between stated behavior and actual behavior.

Piracy is not socially acceptable and that is why there can be a difference between stated and actual behavior. Like homosexuality, pedophilia etc it's "uncool" in the eyes of many so there is a difference because of social pressure but it's not necessarily immoral.
#4_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/4/2013 7:18:16 AM(edited)
Also "spend more money of film and music" does that include movie and music experiences you can not "pirate" like going to the movies and going to concerts? If it does, that severely changes the interpretation of what they are saying. The more I think about it, the more holes there are. To the extent that it is no longer informational in any way.

I am not blaming the study though. What usually happens is that people do not read the study correctly and just take snippets without context or incorrectly paraphrase the content of the study. It is either because they are too lazy to read it themselves or it is because these journalists with a major in pottery are not able to correctly process the information that is being presented to them.

When someone says that "a study found that blablabla" without even providing a reference, that is immediately a red flag. You can probably find some study somewhere for any finding you want to use in your article. But how are we supposed to know whether we should value this new information when you give us no way to assess the quality of it?

---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#5akuma634Posted 10/4/2013 8:24:46 AM
Cassette tapes, VHS tapes, and floppy discs didn't kill the entertainment industry in the 80's and 90's. There also was a very steady tape trading scene as well back then. It's more bs to say that sales aren't as great as expected so let's blame the consumer for pirating it even if they didn't.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#6MohjongPosted 10/5/2013 10:35:26 AM
How comes there's never any study on how much savings you actually achieve from pirating within a time period? Maybe you saved nothing.

Saying pirates are hurting entertainment industry is like saying homeless people are hurting the economy. A lazy conclusion.
---
"...as we have also developed a keen interest in the smoking of pipe weed." - Bilbo Baggins
#7GoldninjaPosted 10/5/2013 12:56:13 PM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
There is nothing in that piece of text that even remotely suggests that piracy does not have a negative effect on the entertainment industry.

I am not saying it does or does not. I do not know.

No one knows. It's a big "what if". That's it. You can debate it however you like, really.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
http://tinyurl.com/ptxe9sf - River City Ransom Underground Kickstarter!
#8Damaged7Posted 10/5/2013 3:19:08 PM
Seems pretty socially acceptable to me. Maybe the law doesn't accept it, but people everywhere do.
---
Bold Text
#9FFTHEWINNERPosted 10/5/2013 3:26:07 PM
akuma634 posted...
Cassette tapes, VHS tapes, and floppy discs didn't kill the entertainment industry in the 80's and 90's. There also was a very steady tape trading scene as well back then. It's more bs to say that sales aren't as great as expected so let's blame the consumer for pirating it even if they didn't.

---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png
#10arleasPosted 10/5/2013 3:34:23 PM
Piracy isn't good, but if you provide something worth paying for, people will pay for it. Look at Steam and Russia. They were told early on that it wasn't worth the time to sell to the Russians because they would just pirate everything, and now it's one of their largest markets.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/25/gabe-newell-on-piracy-and-steams-success-in-russia/
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png