This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This priacy article B.S. or legit?

#1happyscrub1Posted 10/4/2013 7:25:58 AM
Is this priacy article B.S. or legit? - Results (111 votes)
BS
21.62% (24 votes)
Legit
78.38% (87 votes)
This poll is now closed.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/new-study-says-online-piracy-isn%E2%80%99t-hurting-entertainment-industry-220006729.html
---
Never forget.... Building #7
#2Worknofun370Posted 10/4/2013 7:49:01 AM
Well, that article is just citing this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/172985274/LSE-MPP-Policy-Brief-9-Copyright-and-Creation

Which cities various studies done. So the question is if those studies are BS or Legit, and I don't really see anything obvious as to why they're not legit.
#3Teufel_xPosted 10/4/2013 7:50:30 AM
legit.

piracy really does nothing because its technically not even a loss of sale.

most pirates probably wouldnt have bought it in the first place.
---
Playin Oldschool games for your enjoyment :)
MAG - 4X VET, PSN ID: Teufel9000 add me for Games!
#430aught6Posted 10/4/2013 7:54:13 AM
Buy, then pirate your media to screw up these types of studies.

Yoho yolo.
#5SinisterSlayPosted 10/4/2013 7:57:14 AM
Too hard to talk about piracy at gamefaqs. Mods go nuts of these sort of conversations.

But in short, pirates don't normally buy things anyways.

We can probably make groups for pirates.

Pirates that never buy
Pirates that pirate just to demo and then buy
pirates that have to pirate because the media is not made available to purchase.

Any other groups?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6g7g7g7g7Posted 10/4/2013 7:57:56 AM
It boils down to this, have you been brainwashed by a publishing and advertising sector that has not adjusted to new technologies and cheaper methods of distribution.
---
You never see people quoting each other in sigs anymore. - Adam Laz
#7Saber_DarkPosted 10/4/2013 8:25:01 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Too hard to talk about piracy at gamefaqs. Mods go nuts of these sort of conversations.

But in short, pirates don't normally buy things anyways.

We can probably make groups for pirates.

Pirates that never buy
Pirates that pirate just to demo and then buy
pirates that have to pirate because the media is not made available to purchase.

Any other groups?

What about the group of pirates who never buy but would buy (some) if piracy were not an option?
#8DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/4/2013 8:46:44 AM(edited)
Saber_Dark posted...

What about the group of pirates who never buy but would buy (some) if piracy were not an option?

Dirty pirates would never admit that this was an option. It happens but I also think its much smaller percentage than some would have you think.

Seriously, itunes is a fantastic music service now (for actual purchases) and we've yet to see a proper TV show equivalent. I would buy all my shows if they were like 2 dollars an episode and all my movies if they were 5 dollars. That may seem too low and maybe those prices are but, I think if they followed the sale methods steam uses for instance, it would take off. Imagine how much more money they would make selling old episodes of LOST or hell even Star Trek episodes. Those are largely forgotten making them no money right now yet a 'sale' with entire seasons for 15 dollars could make a ton. I realize that bandwidth and storage might be a concern but youtube manages it and they run on ads.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#9GoldninjaPosted 10/4/2013 10:28:06 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
Saber_Dark posted...

Dirty pirates would never admit that this was an option. It happens but I also think its much smaller percentage than some would have you think.

Seriously, itunes is a fantastic music service now (for actual purchases) and we've yet to see a proper TV show equivalent. I would buy all my shows if they were like 2 dollars an episode and all my movies if they were 5 dollars. That may seem too low and maybe those prices are but, I think if they followed the sale methods steam uses for instance, it would take off. Imagine how much more money they would make selling old episodes of LOST or hell even Star Trek episodes. Those are largely forgotten making them no money right now yet a 'sale' with entire seasons for 15 dollars could make a ton. I realize that bandwidth and storage might be a concern but youtube manages it and they run on ads.

The problem is with digital content like this is that you rarely see sales. Sure, a DVD set for a tv show might be $44 (for a show with 22 episodes), but you can easily see even the blu-ray version on sale for half that a few months down the line. Want blu-ray quality? Prepare to download around 50GB+ worth of data. Plus, if you ever want to sell your set and you bought digitally, you're screwed there. On top of that, they would have to compete with Netflix. The entirety of Lost and Star Trek is on there for $8 a month, not to mention a ton of other content. Why pay hundreds on digital tv shows and movies when they're at your fingertips with Netflix and Hulu?
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
http://tinyurl.com/ptxe9sf - River City Ransom Underground Kickstarter!
#10NicodimusPosted 10/4/2013 10:31:15 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
Seriously, itunes is a fantastic music service now (for actual purchases) and we've yet to see a proper TV show equivalent.

It's corporate greed. They want to lock you in to paying them a steady stream of money. They want your $20 every month, regardless of how many shows or movies you actually watch.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64