This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This priacy article B.S. or legit?

#21The cranky hermitPosted 10/4/2013 1:46:41 PM
Bottom line is, businesses are making more money than they were in the past, so they should all just shut up and enjoy swimming in their millions...er, billions.

First of all, no. Business have every right to complain about being cheated by freeloaders no matter how much they are making.
Second, "businesses" is an inappropriate blanket term. Some of them are, some of them aren't. Traditional PC gaming is certainly NOT making more money than it did in the past.

People are more willing to buy your product if you offer it at a fair price and don't treat your customers like criminals.

Who gets to decide what a "fair price" is? Judging what is and what isn't a fair price when you have the option of getting it for free is certainly NOT fair.

I recall reading recently how Ubisoft saw ridiculous sales increase when they stopped using their draconian DRM.

Where did you read this? Due to a little thing called confirmation bias, I believe your source needs to be scrutinized.

Pirates are some of the largest content purchasers out there. The people who pirate the most, also tend to buy the most.

I read that article too. It was a blatantly obvious case of lying with statistics. Blatantly obvious if you weren't reading the article just to confirm something you want to believe.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#22SinisterSlayPosted 10/4/2013 2:02:36 PM
The cranky hermit posted...

The one about "just to demo" is nothing but BS rationalization. It is not statistically relevant enough to consider a group. If it was, games which actually had demos would be pirated at a lower rate than games which don't. They are pirated at the same rate.

You make a good point.

So just,
Pirates that never buy
Pirates that have no access to the media

No other groupings?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#23JKatarnPosted 10/4/2013 2:37:13 PM
MachEvolution posted...
People are more willing to buy your product if you offer it at a fair price and don't treat your customers like criminals.

If you buy a DVD, you get tons of anti-piracy splash-screens. If you pirate the same movie, you don't have to deal with any of that crap. This is an example of what media producers shouldn't do.

I recall reading recently how Ubisoft saw ridiculous sales increase when they stopped using their draconian DRM. Prior to that point, Ubisoft had been constantly whining about piracy rates of their software, but once they dropped the DRM they quickly saw how the DRM was the real problem.

Piracy will always be an issue, but once you stop fighting pirates and start focusing on providing quality customer service, you'll be better off in the end.

The more a company tries to squeeze it's customers, the more sales will slip through their fingers.

I'm far more annoyed with being forced (in many cases, not always the case) to sit through more than a few previews before the disc menu comes up.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#24wizardmonPosted 10/4/2013 2:41:10 PM
Here's recent study by the London School of Economics in some crazy sloppy British font that doesn't render correctly in Firefox.
http://www.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/documents/MPP/LSE-MPP-Policy-Brief-9-Copyright-and-Creation.pdf

To sum up the contents: Piracy actually boosts revenue.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#25JKatarnPosted 10/4/2013 2:41:50 PM
While I certainly don't condone it, unfortunately I think piracy will always be a fact of life. Hell, you have people pirating 99 cent apps, ringtones and games etc. - if they're that cheap, they're certainly not going to bat an eyelash at pirating a $25/30 movie or $60 game. As long as a source of these files exists and the public is reasonably certain they're a "small fry" and won't be prosecuted/punished, they will continue torrenting as fast as their leeching little hands can move.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
#26CourtofOwlsPosted 10/4/2013 6:48:37 PM
of course it's bs
disney could've made another billion dollars off of iron man 3
fast & furious 6 only made $778 million,that's not enough to add another floor to the rock's mansion dammit!
world war z barely passed $500 million...tragedy! i hear brad pitt has to do a sequel to johnny suede just to make up the piracy loss from it because they won't give him another role to add another ferrari to his collection until he does!
oh the damages! in fact i'm quite sure it's directly responisible for the declining econmy and sky high unemployment rates
---
Boycott Best Buy!
#27JKatarnPosted 10/4/2013 11:22:59 PM(edited)
CourtofOwls posted...
of course it's bs
disney could've made another billion dollars off of iron man 3
fast & furious 6 only made $778 million,that's not enough to add another floor to the rock's mansion dammit!
world war z barely passed $500 million...tragedy! i hear brad pitt has to do a sequel to johnny suede just to make up the piracy loss from it because they won't give him another role to add another ferrari to his collection until he does!
oh the damages! in fact i'm quite sure it's directly responisible for the declining econmy and sky high unemployment rates

Where your little diatribe breaks down is the many smaller game developers etc. who release their products at a reasonable price, pour their hearts and souls into the games - offer demos/trials and no invasive DRM etc. with plenty of replayability and content/bonuses etc. and lament that people STILL pirate the game left and right - JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN. When you have people pirating useful/fun apps/applications and quality and very affordable games because they can, you don't have any moral highground to stand on. Pirates always use this tired "patriotic stand against 'the man' " diatribe to cloak their petty behavior.
---
#28CourtofOwlsPosted 10/4/2013 11:42:21 PM
that's where the second half of the article comes in
i'd hope so anyway
personally i wait for sales
i keep telling people to buy the swapper and rogue legacy but they just won't listen
---
Boycott Best Buy!
#29jamieyelloPosted 10/4/2013 11:48:21 PM
Teufel_x posted...
legit.

piracy really does nothing because its technically not even a loss of sale.

most pirates probably wouldnt have bought it in the first place.

This

Not being able to pirate wouldn't mean I would've gone out and spent 5000$ worth of ps1/snes games. <_<
---
#30LvthnPosted 10/4/2013 11:49:33 PM
The cranky hermit posted...

The one about "just to demo" is nothing but BS rationalization. It is not statistically relevant enough to consider a group. If it was, games which actually had demos would be pirated at a lower rate than games which don't. They are pirated at the same rate.

Actually it holds some merit. Back in the early, early days of Napster, I used to download a ton of songs, mostly from fairly obscure bands whose records cost $25+ to import. I bought hundreds of dollars worth of music that I would not have bought if I could not have sampled it first via Napster.