This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This priacy article B.S. or legit?

#51hitokiri13Posted 10/7/2013 2:18:29 PM
no1oblivionfan posted...
Legit.

Think about it: Majority of pirates would have never bought whatever they pirated in the first place. The likes of lets say Photoshop costs what? $800? Do you think everyone who pirates that would ever(Key word) be willing to drop that kind of money on that? Of course not. A few maybe, but as for the vast majority not a chance.

As for movies, people are not going to go to the cinema to see every movie that comes out all during the year. I'm sure most people that watch all movies during the year don't pirate every single one of them, but actually goes to cinema every now and again (As you would do the same if piracy never existed). As for DVDs, I don't know many people that full on buy a DVD to watch a movie once, they rent it instead which has nothing to do with piracy and doesn't affect the actual entertainment industry.

For games the same thing goes. Personally I always support the developer of games of ones I know will be good. As for games people are a bit iffy with they might pirate to test it out; which sadly is the minority, I'm pretty sure most people who pirate games just want it for free and not to "test" it out. But like I said, they wouldn't buy every release in the year anyway. Thus the developer loses no money.

And TV piracy actually increases sales (As proven by HBO with Game of Thrones) They literally lose nothing and gain everything as all shows aren't available across the world. So they lose nothing. If I could buy HBO, FOX, AMX whatever where I am I would. For all the shows I like I will ALWAYS buy the boxset.

This whole thing about it hurting the industry is the industry being greedy. Nothing more.

lol Photoshop being pirated. Not issue anymore. I used to do that now I'm subscriber the Creative Cloud at a student price. If companies pull something like this they will get better steady flow of money than charging big amount every release.
---
Originally Posted by Manicdan
using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.
#52no1oblivionfanPosted 10/7/2013 2:25:42 PM(edited)
Obviously each pirate copy is not a lost sale as you said, as many of these people couldn't possibly buy as much as they've been pirating. That doesn't mean it doesn't cause some lost sales. Piracy being sufficiently easy will cause some (far from all, but a lot) people to change from buying some stuff to buying none.

Of course, which is mostly prominent in the gaming side of things IMO. But I still believe the benefits of publicity outweigh those that do not buy anything and pirate it all.

Unless it's The Witcher 2..

lol Photoshop being pirated. Not issue anymore. I used to do that now I'm subscriber the Creative Cloud at a student price. If companies pull something like this they will get better steady flow of money than charging big amount every release.

Well, take any piece of expensive software as an example. Some CAD software can cost up to $2000+ (SolidWorks) that's not available with student discounts and such offers.
---
Steam: An_Orang3e
GT: DanDan4000
#53The cranky hermitPosted 10/8/2013 2:20:13 PM
My post was really not relevant to the article just piracy in general

First word in your post is "legit." Referring to the article. The purpose of your post was to justify an article that you did not read.

Regarding photoshop, it was clearly an example for all expensive software people pirate.

No s***, Sherlock. And any argument pointing out how expensive it is is clearly irrelevant to "piracy in general."

You built a strawman out of my second point; it was not what I said at all. Your example would make sense if you said "I can afford 10 games this year and I buy 10 but I pirate the rest of the games that come out and I would never have any interest in buying."

You absolutely did not claim or imply that pirates buy the games that interest them. My hypothetical was completely accurate to your "point." More importantly, it was completely accurate to realism.

And if HBO, the leader of cable TV says it helps them I'm going to believe it.

When did HBO ever claim that it helps them? And I've looked at your links - neither answers my question. The show's producer saying it's a "complement" does not equate to boosting sales, especially not if the producer is being paid a salary and not a percentage of sales. It's also cute how you ignore HBO's frequent take-downs sent to BT users - behavior rather incongruous with believing that piracy helps sales. It's almost like you're cherry-picking reality - exaggerating facts that run even tangentially to your position, and ignoring whatever contradicts it.

Piracy just means person doesn't have the money to buy it in the first place.

Also nonsense. Blatant obviousness of how false that is aside, cheap games get pirated at the same rate as expensive games. Ability to afford isn't even a measurable factor, let alone the main reason.

Remember people there is always someone that is willing to buy it. It's better focus on people who is willing spend then people not likely to spend at all.
And this is a big reason why so many formerly PC-centric developers are now focusing on consoles, MMORPGs, mobile, and freemium games instead.

But I still believe the benefits of publicity outweigh those that do not buy anything and pirate it all.
I can guarantee that you have absolutely no grounds for believing this aside from that it would be very convenient for you if it was true.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#54DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/8/2013 6:05:05 PM
Oh look, cranky the hermit can't handle reality again.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#55MadoifPosted 10/8/2013 7:28:27 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
When did HBO ever claim that it helps them? And I've looked at your links - neither answers my question. The show's producer saying it's a "complement" does not equate to boosting sales, especially not if the producer is being paid a salary and not a percentage of sales. It's also cute how you ignore HBO's frequent take-downs sent to BT users - behavior rather incongruous with believing that piracy helps sales. It's almost like you're cherry-picking reality - exaggerating facts that run even tangentially to your position, and ignoring whatever contradicts it.

The producer certainly said that piracy helped in that article. Just because the lawyers of HBO have to do their job doesn't mean the producers aren't appreciating how well known it has become.

Piracy just means person doesn't have the money to buy it in the first place.

Also nonsense. Blatant obviousness of how false that is aside, cheap games get pirated at the same rate as expensive games. Ability to afford isn't even a measurable factor, let alone the main reason.

I seriously doubt that cheaper games get pirated at the same rate as a 60 dollar game. If you can provide me with proof I'll believe you.

Remember people there is always someone that is willing to buy it. It's better focus on people who is willing spend then people not likely to spend at all.
And this is a big reason why so many formerly PC-centric developers are now focusing on consoles, MMORPGs, mobile, and freemium games instead.

It's just as easy to pirate on consoles as it is PC. So why would this be a cause for PC centric developers to focus on consoles? Also freemium games came into existence after D&D Online showed a 500% increase in revenue

I can guarantee that you have absolutely no grounds for believing this aside from that it would be very convenient for you if it was true.

Actually publicity is very important for generating more sales. Word of mouth, advertisements, news stories. So with that in mind, yeah I'd believe him on that.
---
Monster Hunter Usernames:
Fidelis HR20-PS2 data;Madoif HR9-PS3 data
#56The cranky hermitPosted 10/10/2013 6:10:39 PM
The producer certainly said that piracy helped in that article.

Quote him, because I don't see where he said anything of the sort.

I seriously doubt that cheaper games get pirated at the same rate as a 60 dollar game. If you can provide me with proof I'll believe you.

Here's an example:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/11/15/world-of-goo-piracy-rate-82/

And another:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/08/machinarium-suffers-95-piracy-rate-offers-5-amnesty-sale/

Other examples can be found if you look for them.

It's just as easy to pirate on consoles as it is PC. So why would this be a cause for PC centric developers to focus on consoles?

The "ease" or piracy rates is immaterial. Easy or not, console games get pirated far less than PC games do.

Actually publicity is very important for generating more sales. Word of mouth, advertisements, news stories. So with that in mind, yeah I'd believe him on that.

You know what else is very important for generating more sales? Providing value, and that's pretty much impossible when potential consumers can get the whole value of the game whether they choose to pay for it or not. Funny how you disregard that, while somehow accepting the argument that piracy helps "publicity" so much better than any other methods available that it more than offsets any lost sales.

You aren't believing this because of any appreciation for marketing methods. You're believing this because it makes you not feel bad about pirating games. As in, "no, I'm actually HELPING CD Projekt by pirating The Witcher!"
---
#57DaedalusExPosted 10/10/2013 6:52:02 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
It's almost like you're cherry-picking reality - exaggerating facts that run even tangentially to your position, and ignoring whatever contradicts it.

It's quite astounding how unaware you are that you're more guilty of confirmation bias than anyone else in this topic.
#58-CJF-Posted 10/10/2013 7:07:15 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
IIt's quite astounding how unaware you are that you're more guilty of confirmation bias than anyone else in this topic.

this right here
#59The cranky hermitPosted 10/10/2013 7:17:18 PM(edited)
I have not made a single claim in this topic which disregarded strong conflicting evidence while claiming weak evidence as proof. Several in this topic, including you, have. By that measure, I am not as guilty of confirmation bias as you are, nor as anyone else doing that.

Saying "I believe HBO" when a producer says something even slightly positive about piracy, while ignoring things like their corporate policy against piracy is blatant confirmation bias.

Me scrutinizing your hypothetical arguments about demos, and explaining precisely how they fail to account for the evidence is not confirmation bias. It's more along the lines of inductive reasoning.
---