This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help me get over MMO addiction..

#1Benjamin_ButtonPosted 10/4/2013 9:36:14 AM
I know uve been wondering why u havent seen me around here as often and its because of FFXIV.

i am addicted and i want to quit...but i cant. Im on the last day of my free trial and i feel like if i sub, im gona feel compelled to keep subbing so my efforts would not have gone to waste.

i tell myself things like "ur grinding to look like everybody else". "u have no RL friends playing and no social friends in-game might as well play SP rpg" "grinding and grinding is not fun" "u will never be involved in a close-knit FC/guild to take on harder endgame dungeons" etc...

i throw all reason out the window and find myself loggin back on. Seriously i think if i sub once..thats going to be it for me right there. i need some help guys pls throw reasons my way...
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage
#2BowsaaPosted 10/4/2013 9:39:33 AM
Contact Customer Support and request a ban on your account/IP ban.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#3steveboblarryPosted 10/4/2013 9:40:04 AM
Start taking blue meth
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#4Dirk85UKPosted 10/4/2013 9:42:02 AM
MMORPG's. You grind to get better equipment, just so you can grind even more to get even better equipment. Then you grind even more to get even better equipment, until you have the best gear available. Then you create an alt, or in FF14ARR's case, you start grinding with a different class, just so you can get better equipment to grind even more... and it goes on and on. The story of MMORPG's, the genre where the gameplay isn't even that much fun. lol
---
i5 2500 | 8Gb DDR3 | GTX 670 FTW | Asus P8 P67 | Intel 330 SSD | XFX 650W | Dell U2711
#5r0ge00Posted 10/4/2013 9:53:26 AM
Dirk85UK posted...
MMORPG's. You grind to get better equipment, just so you can grind even more to get even better equipment. Then you grind even more to get even better equipment, until you have the best gear available. Then you create an alt, or in FF14ARR's case, you start grinding with a different class, just so you can get better equipment to grind even more... and it goes on and on. The story of MMORPG's, the genre where the gameplay isn't even that much fun. lol

Some people like the carrot on a stick approach. A lot of my time in WoW was social, just hanging out with everyone in my guild doing various random things in game, maybe playing other games. I don't play anymore, but I still socialize with a dozen or so people that I played with. Raiding was fun when new stuff came out and became a chore when it was on farm.

If you only pay for the sub and nothing else gaming wise, it's a pretty decent cost/entertainment ratio.
#6EternalFlame66Posted 10/4/2013 9:56:35 AM
Dirk85UK posted...

except guild wars 2.
---
Such is your fate.
#7Benjamin_Button(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 9:58:18 AM
Bowsaa posted...
Contact Customer Support and request a ban on your account/IP ban.

good suggestion overall but i can easily change my IP and what really stops me from buying another digital copy down the road aka a few days from now? This is a temporary solution since my desire to play the game doesnt change instead i just create a temporary roadblock.

Dirk85UK posted...

thanks. this is some solid stuff right here. no matter how many times i tell myself, its always a million times better coming from someone else especially when directed at you. thanks again..really helped.
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage
#8NicodimusPosted 10/4/2013 9:59:44 AM
MMORPGs are not worth it unless you have real life friends that play with you, especially with voice chat. Making friends online is just not the same. They come and go quickly.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#9emmecePosted 10/4/2013 10:01:55 AM
Then a new expansion pack hits the shelf, it's back to more grinding except this time I am at the same starting line as everyone else and it is back to more grinding. Then another expansion, there is really no point in playing unless you enjoy the grind.
#10AlexTheNextOnePosted 10/4/2013 10:02:31 AM
Well, if you do subscribe, that will take so much time away from playing other, possibly better games, so there's that.

I used to have sort of the same problem with Diablo II, spent way, and I mean WAY too much time playing that game, to the point where I missed out on so much that came out during the early to mid 2000s.

If you're already telling yourself these sorts of things, then you should realize that, even though this game might be perfectly hitting that "sweet spot" and delivering all those Dopamine rushes, it could very well be that when all is said and done, and you're finished with the game, you won't end up really taking anything away from it, and you'll feel pretty bad that you, in a sense, threw those hours down the drain.
---
Read everything, listen to everybody, believe nothing, until you can prove it through your own research. For that is the true mark of intelligence.
~