This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it just me or does Orgin blow the f*** away Steam in terms of download speed

#21ShekbPosted 10/4/2013 4:12:25 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
cody4783 posted...
Origin downloads compressed files and then artificially inflates the displayed download speed beyond what it's ACTUALLY downloading at.

Uh, so does Steam. My internet connection is 50 megabits per second, according multiple runs of SpeedTest, which is 6.25 megabytes per second. For me, Steam always downloads at 8 to 9 megabytes per second.

It does that to me too.

50mb is what your Internet provider is supposed to give you as a MINIMUM. It usually shouldn't fluctuate too far from that.

Sometimes, when I check my bandwidth monitor, it goes higher than 50mbs, it happens, not all the time, not during peak hours, but some ISPs will let that happen.

Monitor your in and outbound, you're trying to argue about something through SpeedTest, it's not accurate, you don't know how different their server infrastructure is from your ISPs and when their servers get overloaded, you will get "less" bandwidth according to their speedtest.
#22DerPancakePosted 10/4/2013 4:18:57 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
DerPancake posted...
The game is 8gb in both steam and Origin, so I don't know what you are trying to prove. Its the same game, same size just different clients.

I'm proving that origin lies about its download speeds.

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy56/DV8ing1/ScumbagOrigin_zpsa1fe7446.png

I'm downloading at 2.2mb/s... Origin is telling me I'm dl at 3.4mb/s... lies

strongo9 posted...
Don't bother with DerPancake. He's a troll that thinks it's cool to hate on Nintendo and act like Origin is the best DRM ever.

Oh I know. I just feel like pointing out indisputable proof that he's objectively wrong in this case. It's fun seeing trolls come back after doing so.

That doesn't prove how can I can download Medal of Honor in less than 15 minutes in Origin, while it takes longer than 25 minutes on Steam.

Also Steam lies about the download speeds too then :)

http://i.imgur.com/1lYpDol.jpg
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#23DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/4/2013 4:25:23 PM
^ You clearly didn't let the downloads stabilize when you did that screenshot. Resource Manager and steam aren't sync'd perfectly and it takes a minute or so of a stable download to get reliable results. Something I did with my screenshots.

I bet if I timed my Origin dl and steam download of the exact same game it would be pretty much the same.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#24DerPancakePosted 10/4/2013 4:48:01 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
^ You clearly didn't let the downloads stabilize when you did that screenshot. Resource Manager and steam aren't sync'd perfectly and it takes a minute or so of a stable download to get reliable results. Something I did with my screenshots.

I bet if I timed my Origin dl and steam download of the exact same game it would be pretty much the same.

http://i.imgur.com/p8KGnQn.jpg

I think thats enough time for stabilizing.
---
#25DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/4/2013 4:55:59 PM
Either you paused it and resumed and resource manager hasn't caught up yet or your internet is just too sporadic for proper monitoring. Why did you cut off the graphs this time?

I've tested several times on different occasions with my connection and never had that much of a discrepancy. I'm sorry but I just don't believe your results as you are out to prove your original point and you're a known fanboy.

Try a different download location in steam if you aren't getting full bandwidth is all I can suggest. I get my max from both services so I have no complaints either way. Origin is definitely not faster.

Now why don't you show your origin lies?
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
#26DerPancakePosted 10/4/2013 4:58:31 PM
I get the same results with Origin. It does lie, but still doesnt explain why I download the games in less time.
---
#27DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/4/2013 5:02:03 PM(edited)
DerPancake posted...
I get the same results with Origin. It does lie, but still doesnt explain why I download the games in less time.

Again you likely aren't on a steam server that can handle your bandwidth if its less than origin. I honestly wouldn't know as my 2.4MB/s is likely a lot easier to saturate. What kind of network monitor results are you getting? Are they similar? If steam is slower in the monitor than origin, you should try a different server location in steam. Remember that the server location doesn't necessarily need to be super close. Ping doesn't matter all that much with downloading.

---
#28Orestes417Posted 10/4/2013 5:02:04 PM
Look, you're half a step away from riding the shortbus here. He may well get double the speed for origin than steam and you may well not. Regardless of either, personal experiences are just that. Neither of you is qualified to make blanket statements for everyone.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#29DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/4/2013 5:03:44 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Look, you're half a step away from riding the shortbus here. He may well get double the speed for origin than steam and you may well not. Regardless of either, personal experiences are just that. Neither of you is qualified to make blanket statements for everyone.

Listen kiddo, I was merely pointing out the compression and lies. I was not saying that origin is slower than steam.

Now would you kindly keep your condescending remarks to yourself.
---
#30DerPancakePosted 10/4/2013 5:06:10 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
DerPancake posted...

Again you likely aren't on a steam server that can handle your bandwidth if its less than origin. I honestly wouldn't know as my 2.4MB/s is likely a lot easier to saturate. What kind of network monitor results are you getting? Are they similar? If steam is slower in the monitor than origin, you should try a different server location in steam. Remember that the server location doesn't necessarily need to be super close. Ping doesn't matter all that much with downloading.

Yes, I'm getting better speeds with Origin.

http://i.imgur.com/XygCU5W.jpg

and the download server is San Jose, which is the city I live on.
---