This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If Steambox has a Titan in it for cheap, whats to stop people from buying...

#11BogePosted 10/4/2013 4:52:58 PM(edited)
DV8ingSources posted...
^ Well there are 3 high end machines being sent out for the beta but they've already mentioned that other tiers will be offered.

I actually signed up for the beta test and was kinda 'meh' about the whole thing. Now I really want one as they said you can do whatever you want with the machines... I'll just pop a 770 or titan into my machine XD

But anything less that would cost $500 is going to be a pile compared to their PS4 or Xbox One counterparts.

It's like Valve is trying to make the PC into an easy to use console type setting, but they're forgetting that PRICE plays a huge part in that. It's not going to reach the console crowd unless it's in the console price range and quality. I know the PC versions of games are the best. I know the PC gaming experience can be much better, but that's only if you're willing to pay the price for it. You will not have a comparable gaming experience with a $400 PS4 and a $400 PC.

I mean, the only people I can see maybe wanting a Steambox are those that are already PC users that are looking for a new system. But how will it be any better than a prebuilt system? How big will it be? I assume I'll be able to use a mouse and keyboard with it. I mean, what is it, a console or a PC? Because those are two different worlds.

EDIT: Also, there aren't that many games that work on Linux, which is what SteamOS is built upon. So unless you want to buy your own version of Windows, install it to your Steambox to essentially make it a traditional PC, you won't be able to play the huge library of PC games anyway, which really is the only appeal for the targeted audience.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#12Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/4/2013 7:47:55 PM
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-59368419805889_2269_9541138

Throw my Titan in it, along with my old 3770K I'm replacing next year.. toss the Steam OS on it.. Steam box, hell.. might even buy the controller to make it seem more legit.
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8!
#13SteamsterPosted 10/4/2013 8:04:29 PM(edited)
Boge posted...
Do you really want to play Starcraft 2 or Civilization with your Steampad? I'm not sure that will work very well. It will be like trying to play with the touchpad on a laptop.

Then don't.

It's a f***in Steam Box, not a Playstation 4.
#14AsellusPosted 10/4/2013 8:09:03 PM
But anything less that would cost $500 is going to be a pile compared to their PS4 or Xbox One counterparts.

I don't think Valve's really intending to fight them while they're brand new. The test systems are just for gathering feedback and testing things out.

Where I think it really gets interesting is what happens next year? How will a Broadwell / Maxwell based system fare against them? The year after that?

Consoles are, after all, static platforms. How much march of progress will it really take to put them to shame?
#15ShadowThaReaperPosted 10/4/2013 8:15:14 PM
Boge posted...

That's not true. Stop spouting ignorance all over everyone.
#16EpicKingdom_Posted 10/4/2013 10:18:54 PM
Are these official specs? It destroys most of our computers and how is this affordable! D:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/04/valve-unveils-prototype-steam-box-specs/
---
3570k (212 Evo) | Z77 Extreme 4 | Sapphire 7850 2GB OC | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | XFX PRO650w CE | 1TB Black WD | Fractal Design Define R4 | 3840x1080 | Logitech Z623
#17ArkonBladePosted 10/4/2013 11:05:33 PM
I know the specs are insane. I am not sure who valve is trying to market this to. If valve is going after console gamers they need a steambox that's below $499 and more around $399 if they really want it to sell. Any thing over that puts it in 3DO and Neo Geo territory. It's just going to be some thing for the rich who have money to waste. That's a very small market.

I mean if you already have a gaming rig why bother getting a steam box for a ton of money? I already have a good gaming laptop with good specs, that should last me a while. Don't see a reason to upgrade any time soon.

I would get a steam box if the specs out did my laptops and the price was right.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow
#18MasterDonGeroPosted 10/4/2013 11:23:22 PM
bsballa09 posted...
If Steambox has a Titan in it for cheap

It won't.

/thread
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#19reincarnator07Posted 10/5/2013 6:01:58 AM
If they're aiming this at non PC gamers, I can see them getting confused on all the different models. They want to be able to buy the system and not think about how it will run.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#20DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/5/2013 6:13:24 AM
reincarnator07 posted...
If they're aiming this at non PC gamers, I can see them getting confused on all the different models. They want to be able to buy the system and not think about how it will run.

Yeah this is my worry too. It seems too open ended. Maybe they could get away with it if they had a steam box recommendation rating on the store pages... Each steam box would be rated a number and all games that could be played at certain thresholds performance wise would be rated at that number or lower.

There's really just too many questions that have gone unanswered as of right now. I'm a little pessimistic about the whole steam box idea. Steam OS and the controller are fine but the random hardware is a bit odd.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1