This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If Steambox has a Titan in it for cheap, whats to stop people from buying...

#21arleasPosted 10/5/2013 7:30:51 AM
All they have to do is give each steam box tier an easily recognizable and logical name so that the average noob off the streets will know which one is better just by listening to the names. e.g. Steambox bronze (weak), Steambox silver (average), Steambox Gold (Good), Steambox Platinum (Runs everything on highest settings).

If they f*** it up and give them esoteric names (eg 4930, 5240, XG800) then they're going to confuse the console crowd.

And I have no idea why everyone keeps thinking they're giving hardware away for cheap. There's no licensing fees to make up the loss and there's not even going to be just one single manufacturer in the first place.

And for this stupid comment:
Do you really want to play Starcraft 2 or Civilization with your Steampad? I'm not sure that will work very well. It will be like trying to play with the touchpad on a laptop.

Valve said already:

Iím a happy Steam customer happily using my happy mouse and keyboard. I donít want a controller?

You canít make a sentence into a question by just putting a question-mark at the end. But weíre happy youíre happy, and by all means keep using whatever input method makes sense for you. Rest assured, we wonít abandon you. We love mice and keyboards, too.

EDIT: Also, there aren't that many games that work on Linux, which is what SteamOS is built upon.

Valve said already:
Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014.
so I'm sure they're not just going to sit around and wait for people to jump on the bandwagon. I'm sure they're already in talks with several developers to get them interested, especially if Valve can make it easier to port it to linux for them.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://i.imgur.com/G7PNnZ8.gif
#22RequiemPosted 10/5/2013 7:39:18 AM
Kinda getting confused as to what "Steambox" is.

I thought it was going to be several types of "pre-made" PC with a SteamOS loaded, but... now it sounds like it's just a mini-case for users to build a pc in.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#23AsellusPosted 10/5/2013 7:45:01 AM
Yeah this is my worry too. It seems too open ended. Maybe they could get away with it if they had a steam box recommendation rating on the store pages... Each steam box would be rated a number and all games that could be played at certain thresholds performance wise would be rated at that number or lower.

No reason you couldn't do something like that. Heck, you could set up games to automatically load to certain settings for a given system level.
#24arleasPosted 10/5/2013 7:59:39 AM
I thought it was going to be several types of "pre-made" PC with a SteamOS loaded,

That's exactly what it is going to be... nothing more... it's not a console, it's a prebuilt meant to work with a wide selection of games (though of course at the moment, it's limited in the number of linux compatible games already available).
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/r5PgL.gif
#25DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/5/2013 8:04:42 AM
arleas posted...
e.g. Steambox bronze (weak), Steambox silver (average), Steambox Gold (Good), Steambox Platinum (Runs everything on highest settings).

Might work but you'd have to have the year attached too... I think that would start to get confusing after a few iterations as well and we'd be back at square one. It needs to be a consistently growing number or something just as linear for it to really remain simple.

"My bronze 2020 is better than your gold 2016" wouldn't really work imo. Whereas steam box (43) vs a steam box (27) would be clear.

I don't think even Valve knows what they are going to do. They had an out-there idea and seem to be rolling with it.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#26NicoC96Posted 10/5/2013 10:00:04 AM
It's a beta device, for testing. Do we have a direct statement from Valve saying that these are for testing the components and hardware itself, or just the look and feel of SteamOS and the idea of the Steambox? The way I see it, they are trying to remove any sort of hardware bottleneck and going straight for the user experience.
#27xlequltxPosted 10/5/2013 10:46:35 AM
It's going to be fun when Valve starts pushing Steambox features into games.
#28xanthan1Posted 10/5/2013 10:59:39 AM
xlequltx posted...
It's going to be fun when Valve starts pushing Steambox features into games.

Except it has no features. It runs a custom version of Linux and you can install that on any other computer. You do get that, right? That it's just a prebuilt with a free OS made by Valve?