This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Archery is underpowered, any exceptions to this rule?

#51rking(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 5:33:06 PM
I ended up buying Mount & Blade Warband, are there any "essential" mods or should I just play it as is?
---
http://www.d2offline.info - Diablo 2 SP forums
Phenom II x4 945/5770/1440x900 x2/8GB DDR3/Unicomp SpaceSaver/120GB SSD/320GB HDD
#52WygunPosted 10/5/2013 5:59:07 PM
rking posted...
I ended up buying Mount & Blade Warband, are there any "essential" mods or should I just play it as is?

Diplomacy:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,176.0.html
adds new options for managing your kingdom without affecting game balance.

Floris Mod Pack:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,197.0.html
improves graphics, adds new items and troops types, including extremely powerful archers which may defeat your purpose.

Warband has a huge mod variety but a great deal of them nerf archers to fix the balance, You should play Diplomacy first then try floris.
#53rking(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 9:20:23 PM
Thanks to everyone who suggested Mount & Blade Warband, I think it's exactly what I was looking for.
---
http://www.d2offline.info - Diablo 2 SP forums
Phenom II x4 945/5770/1440x900 x2/8GB DDR3/Unicomp SpaceSaver/120GB SSD/320GB HDD
#54GhennkinsPosted 10/6/2013 9:30:30 PM
A billion years ago Hunters used to be the best class in Ragnarok Online. Very easy to solo MvP or at least snag MvP in groups. Dunno about now though. I quit back in 2003 or 2004.

Very very... very grindy Korean mmo.
#55DerPancakePosted 10/6/2013 9:33:44 PM(edited)
Ghennkins posted...
A billion years ago Hunters used to be the best class in Ragnarok Online. Very easy to solo MvP or at least snag MvP in groups. Dunno about now though. I quit back in 2003 or 2004.

Very very... very grindy Korean mmo.

They got owned by every class in PvP though.
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#56NingishzidaPosted 10/7/2013 12:09:49 AM
Baldur's Gate - you can have 6 archers in your party getting several attacks each per round with arrows of detonation which have fireball AoE. nothing is more OP than this.
in BG2 archery is less powerful for several reasons, however an archer PrC with firetooth or gesen will still wreak havoc even pre-HLA

Dark Souls - not all that OP, but quite fun due to refined, responsive mechanics. in SP you can kill many things before they even get to you if you spec right, in PvP if you kill a meleer they will rage hard and call you cheap. headshots that cause stagger on your opponent are delightful to behold
i also like how regardless of build archery is situationally useful, this is good game design. and i like enemy archer, like the knights with dragonbows who fire JAVELINS to knock you down into the void (you can use this bow yourself later).

Deus Ex - mini xbow, tranquilizing enemies for silent takedowns is satisfying and assists a stealth approach

Temple of Elemental evil - holy axiomatic longbow on high-initiative hasted elven archer with RoF feats = devastating
my refined archer build using every trick in the book dropped 3 hill giants with ground-shaking thuds from afar before they even blinked (at level 10).

Thief - i love the mechanic of using water arrows to douse wall-mounted torches to assist infiltrations

Storm of Zehir - craft bows and xbows using rare materials like zalantar and duskwood, deck the whole party out, and goto town. a party casually equipped with basic ranged weapons can kill rampaging foes before they get a chance to melee wail on the party.

Oblivion - archery is OP coupled with stealth and due to zoom mechanic. once you get the knockdown perk, you've won. Morrowind archery is comparitively weak unless you metagame daedric bow early, it takes ages to get it up to speed and its a little clunky. there is an official plug-in that supplies you with AoE arrows

Gothic 2 - similar to Dark Souls in that bow/xbow use is situationally very useful. much higher rate of fire than any ARPG i ever played, too

Median XL (elite Diablo 2 tactics overhaul) - XBOW NECRO, skill tree allows for sniping, SMG and shot-gun styles. utterly game-breakingly awesome. Also, Ultimatum bowazon with Barrage and epic chain procs decimates all with fastest killspeed ever seen

I made a topic about this awhile back, here are others' suggestions where archery can be OP (some i haven't confirmed):

Divine Divinity - with poison arrows. Broken for all enemies that are not immune.

Mount and blade warband- cavalry archers are untouchable. The accuracy of bows for the period is extremely high, with mounted mobility they can crush an enemy force.

Fc3 blood dragon. I kinda feel like they're outclassed halfway through the main FC3 game, but in blood dragon, it's THE go to stealth weapon in the absence of silenced sniper rifles.

Turok 2 - Tek bow ftw.

BF3 - Love me some Xbow in BF3. Good trollin' weapon; 'Specially to pesky Little Birds that hover too close.

Crysis 3 SP and MP - Bow is godlike. Just cloak and one-shot people across the map like a bk. Not to mention the hitbox on that thing is the size of mars.
#57TimePharaohPosted 10/7/2013 1:27:08 AM
Farcry(s). Stealth one shots everyone regardless of where you hit them
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#58claytonbuckleyPosted 10/7/2013 2:49:37 AM
You do not understand the meaning of 'overpowered' until you play a sneak archer in Skyrim
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#59NingishzidaPosted 10/7/2013 2:57:33 PM(edited)
claytonbuckley posted...
You do not understand the meaning of 'overpowered' until you play a sneak archer in Skyrim

look at my post, now look at your post.

look at the games i mentioned, now look at the game you mentioned

blush, and leave.