This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

DIY EMI shielding?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. DIY EMI shielding?
3 years ago#1
How effectively would aluminum foil wrapped in electrical tape shield a sound card from EMI?
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
3 years ago#2
I saw something where a guy tried to shield leads from his GPUs to the mobo with aluminum foil (he was building a wall mounted case) and it didn't work overly well- he ended up having to get shielded cables because his setup barely worked.

If it's in a case/has a good couple layers on it, it should work ok, I would think. Why not try it an see?
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
3 years ago#3
Because I'm not really very knowledgeable on the mechanics of EMI shielding. I basically just want to see if i can cut out some noise between my GPU and sound card to see if it helps the headphone mode stop sucking.
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
3 years ago#4
I think any kind of shielding needs to be grounded. You can buy emi sheet absorbers, no idea if those will work.
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
3 years ago#5
The best, easy made EMI shield is a Faraday cage. However, it has to have a good ground.

EDIT: Outdoor copper communication lines have an aluminum jacket surrounding the conductors as a shield. It is also grounded. So I think the message here is surround it in metal as completely as possible and ground it well.
i5 2500k @ 4.4| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://tinyurl.com/bsdvav7
3 years ago#6
I think copper tape would work well. You could sandwich one layer of copper between two layers of electrical tape.
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. DIY EMI shielding?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived