This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I bought NBA 2K14 for PC, why is it still asking to insert the DVD on the drive?

#1AmiciPosted 10/5/2013 5:41:39 AM
yey 80 FTW.

Anyway, I just bought a physical copy of NBA 2K14 at a local store in a mall here in the Philippines. I thought about buying it on Steam instead, but the store sells it for roughly 30 USD only, which is not only cheaper, but they gave me a free LeBron poster to put on my LBJ shrine, and having a real disc feels nice.

Well, after installing it fully, the game is still looking for the original DVD to be inserted on my drive. This sucks because not only does my laptop not have an internal drive, but it's tedious to have this disc on me all the time.

I thought we were long gone from the 90s and early 2000s when games required the game discs to be on the drive bay all the time. I don't want to use cracks/warez/no-cd patches obviously. It would be nice if there is a 'dummy' DVD file though that I'll probably mount on a virtual drive. Unfortunately a quick Google search yielded nothing.

tl; dr Why is NBA 2k14 still asking for the original game disc??
---
Pain is temporary; glory is forever.
#2Bikes-Posted 10/5/2013 5:55:56 AM(edited)
You could get a dummy dvd theoretically but it would be just the full game in ISO format, I do that for one of the games I own since I couldn't get any other form of removal of the check to work. But that would either require you making your own ISO (Know nothing about that) or doing the obvious. At that point you might as well use a no-dvd patch though.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#3AnatomyHorrorPosted 10/5/2013 6:24:35 AM
Is the game steamworks?

Have you tried inputting the CD Key in steam?
#4TheFeralWarriorPosted 10/5/2013 6:43:33 AM
I almost bought that and then realized that it's a current gen port. I hate that PC gamers get shafted every year with NBA.
---
PC Master Race. Steam: The Feral Merc
Intel Core i7-4770K | Corsair 8 GB DDR3-1600 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB
#5burn420247Posted 10/5/2013 7:14:50 AM
the game is great. port or not, still looks way better than the console version.

also, TC, u shoulda bought direct from steam, ($30), no LBJ shrine tho.
---
Boxer Santaros: I'm a pimp. And pimps don't commit suicide.
#6sonicteam2k1Posted 10/5/2013 7:20:40 AM
you could always just get a crack TC. you've bought the game so I wouldn't feel bad about getting a crack.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#7KaiRyusakiPosted 10/5/2013 8:20:26 AM
Have you tried entering the code into steam?
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

Says NBA2k9 would work and 2k definitely likes Steam.