This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Unwritten:an open world,player choice driven,fantasy RPG,hits Kickstarter.

#31arleasPosted 10/5/2013 2:25:31 PM
I'm getting sick and tired of all these damn kickstarters. Fund your own damn game or don't make one. It's really that simple. The gaming community shouldn't need to help you with your project.

I just wanted to add that this is a really stupid viewpoint. You're sick of kickstarter.. why? Because people are calling you up on the phone and asking for donations? Are they knocking on your door at 7am asking if you'll donate?

Or... maybe you work for a major publisher and see them as a threat to your livelihood somehow?

Basically, Kickstarter is just a way to organize raising funds so the average consumer can help fund a project they're interested in. It's not just video games either. They've funded shoes, watches, cookies, movies, beer, books, posters, board games, etc.

Game developers have been getting money from other people to make their games for years! Normally those would be in the form of publishers, or private investors who are only looking for a monetary return on their investment. The only difference between that and what kickstarter does is to allow Joe Schmoe to 'invest' in a game with the promise of getting the finished product upon completion among other "rewards" (the only return on the investment).

I'd much rather have people fund games they're interested in directly than trust a publisher to know what's best. Publishers know what's best in terms of broad appeal with the most chance of making lots of money. Those don't always turn out to be good games.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/r5PgL.gif
#32iceachePosted 10/5/2013 2:30:37 PM
FFTHEWINNER posted...
EternalNether posted...
I'm getting sick and tired of all these damn kickstarters. Fund your own damn game or don't make one. It's really that simple. The gaming community shouldn't need to help you with your project.

You are acting as if KSs are beggars. They arent. It is simply a different kind of Preorder system

That's bull**** and you know it. If KS's aren't funded the games don't get made, even games that DO get funded, are highly unlikely to get made or released. Hell look at double fine. They have to go get private funding because they went over their budget.
#33FFTHEWINNER(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 2:31:25 PM
bump.
---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png
#34FFTHEWINNER(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2013 4:06:54 AM
up
---
#35uncleePosted 10/9/2013 5:59:34 AM
iceache posted...

That's bull**** and you know it. If KS's aren't funded the games don't get made, even games that DO get funded, are highly unlikely to get made or released. Hell look at double fine. They have to go get private funding because they went over their budget.

FTL, Shadownrun Returns and Leisure Suit Larry would like a word.

And those are just the three off the top of my head that I can think of. I don't follow KS too closely so I'm sure someone else can give examples of funded games that have already released.
#36DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/9/2013 6:54:27 AM
iceache posted...
FFTHEWINNER posted...
EternalNether posted...

You are acting as if KSs are beggars. They arent. It is simply a different kind of Preorder system

So don't back overly ambitious projects with suspiciously low funding goals.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#37DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/9/2013 7:00:13 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
So don't back overly ambitious projects with suspiciously low funding goals.

Like this one! :P Don't forget small indie sized teams.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#38SlaynPosted 10/9/2013 7:07:32 AM
I kind of have to agree with some of the other posters, trying to make some large open world indie game seems like a recipe for disaster. I am not saying the game will be bad, but I am somewhat weary of what they are claiming.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#39HaxnStashPosted 10/9/2013 7:31:53 AM(edited)
I'm really hoping this game would do really well and do it great. But as people are saying, for a small developer, open world and decision driven games can be complicated to craft. Since there's so much possible outcomes that they have to consider. More outcomes means more work to do and those outcomes will have different outcomes etc.

Look at Mass Effect. I love the game but in the end though, I was a bit disappointed how they lost track of what they really wanted to do from the first game.

I do hope that they do it great. I'm looking forward to this game and if I see that they did a great job, it will be a day 1 purchase for me.
#40FFTHEWINNER(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2013 8:15:47 AM
unclee posted...
iceache posted...

FTL, Shadownrun Returns and Leisure Suit Larry would like a word.

And those are just the three off the top of my head that I can think of. I don't follow KS too closely so I'm sure someone else can give examples of funded games that have already released.

http://www.giantbomb.com/kickstarter-funded/3015-7378/games/

Sorted by release date.
---